Differentials of Entropy for Air and Water at Different Temperatures

In summary: Since the ambient temperature does not change you cannot express the air's entropy change as an integral dT. What is the other option?In summary, the ambient temperature does not change, so the entropy changes for the air and water are the same when T is within the range of the experiment.
yamata1
Homework Statement
A bottle of water is removed from a cupboard at the initial temperature ##T_i##. In the ambient air of constant temperature ##T_0##, it warms or cools to reach equilibrium at the final temperature
##T_f = T_0##. The heat capacity of the plastic of the bottle is neglected compared to that of the water.
The thermal expansion of the water is also neglected.

a)The heat capacity C of the water depends on the temperature. Express entropy variations
##\Delta S## of water, ##\Delta S_{th}## of the air and ##\Delta S_{univ}## of the universe in the form of integrals.

b) Show that, whatever the temperatures, ##\Delta S_{univ}\geq 0##.
Relevant Equations
##dS=\frac{dQ}{T}##
for a)##\Delta S=\mp \int_{T_i}^{T_0}\frac{C(T)}{T}dT## and ##\Delta S_{th}=\int_{T_i}^{T_0}\frac{dQ}{T_0}dT## so ##S_{univ}=\Delta S_{th}+\Delta S##.

What is ##dQ## equal to ? I don't know how to answer question b).

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral for ##\Delta S_{th}## makes no sense. You cannot have two 'd' terms in a single integral.
Hint: you do not need that integral at all.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Your integral for ##\Delta S_{th}## makes no sense. You cannot have two 'd' terms in a single integral.
Indeed,Is ##\Delta S_{th}=\mp\frac{Q}{T_0}=\mp\int_{T_i}^{T_0}\frac{C(T)}{T_0}dT ## correct ?
If so then question b) is ## \Delta S_{univ}=\int_{T_i}^{T_0}C(T)(\frac{1}{T}-\frac{1}{T_0})dT ## when the water heats up and ## \Delta S_{univ}=\int_{T_i}^{T_0}C(T)(\frac{1}{T_0}-\frac{1}{T})dT ## when it cools off .Both of these integrals are positive since C(T) is strictly positive.

haruspex said:
True, but the question (part a) asks to express the entropy changes "in the form of integrals."

yamata1 said:
Indeed,Is ##\Delta S_{th}=\mp\frac{Q}{T_0}=\mp\int_{T_i}^{T_0}\frac{C(T)}{T_0}dT ## correct ?
If so then question b) is ## \Delta S_{univ}=\int_{T_i}^{T_0}C(T)(\frac{1}{T}-\frac{1}{T_0})dT ## when the water heats up and ## \Delta S_{univ}=\int_{T_i}^{T_0}C(T)(\frac{1}{T_0}-\frac{1}{T})dT ## when it cools off .Both of these integrals are positive since C(T) is strictly positive.
Since the ambient temperature does not change you cannot express the air's entropy change as an integral dT. What is the other option?

kuruman said:
True, but the question (part a) asks to express the entropy changes "in the form of integrals."
Ah, quite so.

Compare differentials dS for the air and for the water thruout the range of T.

What is entropy change in water?

Entropy change in water refers to the change in the measure of disorder or randomness in the molecules of water. It is a thermodynamic property that measures the degree of energy dispersal or distribution in a system.

What causes entropy change in water?

Entropy change in water is caused by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions. When water is heated, its molecules gain energy and move around more, increasing the disorder in the system and leading to an increase in entropy. Other factors such as mixing with different substances or undergoing phase changes can also cause entropy change in water.

How is entropy change in water calculated?

The change in entropy of water can be calculated using the equation ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat transferred to or from the water, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This equation is derived from the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system can never decrease over time.

Why is entropy change in water important?

Entropy change in water is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of various systems, such as chemical reactions and phase changes. It also plays a crucial role in the study of thermodynamics and the transfer of energy. In addition, it is a key factor in many natural processes, including weather patterns and the water cycle.

How does entropy change in water relate to the environment?

The concept of entropy change in water is closely related to the environment as it plays a significant role in the Earth's energy balance. For example, the heat transfer between the ocean and the atmosphere is influenced by the entropy change in water. Additionally, changes in water's entropy can affect weather patterns, ocean currents, and the Earth's climate.