1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy in polytropic processes

1. Aug 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have question on entropy for which I have no idea about, please help me out...

a) Change of entropy of a gas is given with usual notations by:
    s2-s1=cvln(T2/T1)+Rln(V2/V1)

using this relationship, show that for a polytropic process, entropy change can be expressed as:
    s2-s1=cv(n-k/n-1)ln(T2/T1)

b) In an air turbine air expands from 7bar and 460°C to 1.012bar and 160°C. This process can be assumed as a polytropic process. Determine,

1) Whether the flow is reversible or irreversible
    2) The net entropy change per unit mass of air.

Please give me a step wise calculation on how to arrive at the answers 'cos I'm so weak in entropy. Additionally I would appreciate if someone can give me links for a site where I can bring my entropy knowledge up to level 'cos, even though I understand the Clausis inequality and the derivation of entropy property, I'm at a loss on how to apply it in a question such as this....

2. Relevant equations

No idea

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, PF is not a homework service. You'll have to develop your own calculations. We can examine your work and give you suggestions if it needs correction or improvement.

4. Aug 26, 2013 #3

Ok, here is an attempt at the question...

Let s2-s1=cvln(T2/T1)+Rln(V2/V1)----------(1)

Polytropic Process : PVk=c
    rearranging and substituting gives : V2/V1=(T2/T1)(-1/k-1)

Substituting to (1) gives; s2-s1=cvln(T2/T1)+Rln(T2/T1)(-1/k-1)

Rearranging and simplifying : s2-s1=cvln(T2/T1)-(R/k-1)ln(T2/T1)-----------------------(2)

Using the relationship : cp=cv+R
    rearranging : (cp/cv)=1+(R/cv)
    which gives : k-1=(R/cv)---->cv(k-1)=R---------------(3)

Substituting (3) to (2) gives :
    s2-s1=cvln(T2/T1)-(cv/k-1)(k-1)ln(T2/T1)

Which gives me s2-s1=0 ......which is not what I need!! Please help me out....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted