1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Entropy of Mixing Calculation

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    I think I actually have solved it. I was right with the PV=nkT, I believe I previously messed up with the algebra.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the same meathod as in the text, calculate the entropy of mixing for a system of two monatomic ideal gases, A and B, whose relative proportion is arbitrary. Let N be the total number of molecules and let x be the fraction of these that are species B. You should find that

ΔS=-Nk[xlnx+(1-x)ln(1-x)]

Check that this expression reduces to the one given in the text when x= 1/2.

2. Relevant equations
    That S=Nk[ln(V(a/3n)^(3/2))+3/2] where a is just a whole bunch of stuff that I believe is irrelevant to the problem.

PV=nkT might be useful

also the fact that ln(x/y)=ln(x)-ln(y)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the change of entropy will just be S_final-S_original but I do not know what really changes between the final and the original situations. Do I have to use the Ideal Gas law find out how big the volume would be?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is a constant single pressure process; the original statement is about as obfuscated as is possible. "n" volumes of pure gases are mixed by volume fraction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted