What is the entropy of mixing for a system of two monatomic ideal gases?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the entropy of mixing for a system of two monatomic ideal gases. It is mentioned that the change in entropy can be calculated by subtracting the final entropy from the original entropy. The Ideal Gas Law and the fact that ln(x/y)=ln(x)-ln(y) may be useful in solving the problem. The final statement is about mixing "n" volumes of pure gases by volume fraction.
Thadis
I think I actually have solved it. I was right with the PV=nkT, I believe I previously messed up with the algebra.

Homework Statement

Using the same meathod as in the text, calculate the entropy of mixing for a system of two monatomic ideal gases, A and B, whose relative proportion is arbitrary. Let N be the total number of molecules and let x be the fraction of these that are species B. You should find that

ΔS=-Nk[xlnx+(1-x)ln(1-x)]

Check that this expression reduces to the one given in the text when x= 1/2.

Homework Equations

That S=Nk[ln(V(a/3n)^(3/2))+3/2] where a is just a whole bunch of stuff that I believe is irrelevant to the problem.

PV=nkT might be useful

also the fact that ln(x/y)=ln(x)-ln(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the change of entropy will just be S_final-S_original but I do not know what really changes between the final and the original situations. Do I have to use the Ideal Gas law find out how big the volume would be?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a constant single pressure process; the original statement is about as obfuscated as is possible. "n" volumes of pure gases are mixed by volume fraction.

Related to What is the entropy of mixing for a system of two monatomic ideal gases?

1. What is entropy of mixing?

Entropy of mixing is a measure of the randomness or disorder in a system when two or more substances are combined. It is a thermodynamic quantity that reflects the number of possible ways that the molecules can be arranged in the mixture.

2. How is entropy of mixing calculated?

Entropy of mixing can be calculated using the formula ΔS_mix = -R∑(x_i ln x_i), where ΔS_mix is the change in entropy, R is the gas constant, and x_i is the mole fraction of each substance in the mixture.

3. What factors affect the entropy of mixing?

The entropy of mixing is affected by the number and types of particles in the mixture, the temperature, and the volume of the mixture. It also depends on the interactions between the particles, such as attractive or repulsive forces.

4. Why is entropy of mixing important?

Entropy of mixing is important in various fields of science, including chemistry, physics, and biology. It helps us understand the behavior of mixtures and how they change with temperature and composition. It is also a key factor in determining the spontaneity of a chemical reaction.

5. Can entropy of mixing be negative?

Yes, entropy of mixing can be negative if the mixing process results in a decrease in disorder. This can happen when there are strong attractive forces between the molecules in the mixture, causing them to arrange themselves in a more ordered manner.