Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Entropy: second law for systems with zero input net energy

1. Jun 12, 2016 #1

haushofer

Science Advisor

Dear all,

I'm trying to think about applying the second law of thermodynamics to a system which is not isolated, but has an energy flowing inwards and an equal (!) energy flowing outwards, such that the total energy does not change (total energy flux is zero). Can we still apply the second law in this case? And where can I find a reference (here or elsewhere) which treats this case?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2016 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you compress an ideal gas isothermally, there is an influx of work and equal outflux of heat and the internal energy of the gas doesn't change. ( http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/therm/entropgas.html )

Of course if a closed system is in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings, it's constantly exchanging molecular kinetic energy (heat) with the surroundings, but there is no net flow of heat to either direction.

4. Jun 12, 2016 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

Ah, yes, of course, that's a familiar example. Thanks! My thermodynamics is a bit rusty, but I'm reviewing some for applications to cosmology (gravitating systems).

5. Jun 12, 2016 #4
    Yes. Here is a place to start.

6. Jun 12, 2016 #5

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do we mean the same thing with terms "isolated", "closed", and "open"? An isolated system doesn't exchange either energy or matter with its surroundings. A closed system can exchange heat but not matter. An open system can exchange both heat and matter with the rest of the universe.

7. Jun 12, 2016 #6

haushofer

Science Advisor

Yes. So I'm referring to the second law for closed systems instead of isolated ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted