EOM of simple pendulum submerged in a fluid

In summary, the conversation discussed the confusion surrounding the use of small angle approximation in finding the equation of motion. The expert clarified that when dealing with forces in circular motion, the component along the direction of motion should be evaluated, not the x direction. This leads to the use of ##ds = l d \theta## in the equation for tangential velocity and acceleration, without the need for small angle approximation.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
Consider a simple pendulum made of a string of length ℓ and a solid metal bob of radius a (a << ℓ). The bob is completely submerged
in the fluid of viscosity η and the pendulum oscillates back and forth in this fluid. If the density of fluid is ρ0 and that of the metal is ρ
then, assuming slow oscillation, show that the equation of motion for the pendulum is given by (slow oscillation makes linear Stoke’s
law viable, that is resistive force due to viscous fluid is given by 6 π η a v, where v is the instantaneous speed of the bob.)
Relevant Equations
##\ddot \theta(t) = -\left(1-\frac{\rho_0}{\rho}\right)\frac gl sin\theta - \frac{9\eta}{2\rho a^2} \dot \theta##
The question :-

Screenshot_11.png

My attempt :-

1584976267327.jpg

The confusion that I am having is that to get the required form of the equation of motion, I had to approximate ##\theta## to be small to get ##x=l\theta## so that I could get the acceleration and the velocity. But, I had to leave the ##sin(\theta)## in the equation also. Why shouldn't I use ##\theta## instead of ##sin(\theta)## if I have already used that approximation?

Physics news on Phys.org
when you write ##g sin \theta## you are evaluating the component of the force along the direction of motion (the tangential component in a circular motion). That direction is not the x direction. So When you write ##\frac {d^2 x} {dt^2}## for the force it's wrong, you should have ##\frac {d^2 s} {dt^2}##, where ##ds## is the displacement in the direction of the motion. It's easy to see that ##ds = l d \theta## and from that follow the equation for the tangential velocity and acceleration. You are not making any small angle approximation here, that comes later when you have to deal with ##sin \theta##

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
dRic2 said:
when you write ##g sin \theta## you are evaluating the component of the force along the direction of motion (the tangential component in a circular motion). That direction is not the x direction. So When you write ##\frac {d^2 x} {dt^2}## for the force it's wrong, you should have ##\frac {d^2 s} {dt^2}##, where ##ds## is the displacement in the direction of the motion. It's easy to see that ##ds = l d \theta## and from that follow the equation for the tangential velocity and acceleration. You are not making any small angle approximation here, that comes later when you have to deal with ##sin \theta##

Thanks !

Likes dRic2

1. What is the equation of motion for a simple pendulum submerged in a fluid?

The equation of motion for a simple pendulum submerged in a fluid is given by:
mLθ'' + bv + mgθ = 0
Where m is the mass of the pendulum, L is the length of the pendulum, θ is the angular displacement, b is the damping constant, v is the angular velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the fluid affect the motion of the pendulum?

The fluid affects the motion of the pendulum by providing resistance to the pendulum's movement. This resistance, also known as drag, is dependent on the density and viscosity of the fluid, as well as the shape and size of the pendulum. The fluid also causes the pendulum to experience buoyant forces, which can affect its equilibrium position.

3. What is the significance of the damping constant in the equation of motion?

The damping constant, represented by b in the equation of motion, determines the amount of resistance the fluid provides to the pendulum's motion. A higher damping constant means a greater resistance, resulting in a slower decay of the pendulum's oscillations. This constant also affects the amplitude and frequency of the pendulum's motion.

4. Can the equation of motion be solved analytically?

Yes, the equation of motion for a simple pendulum submerged in a fluid can be solved analytically using methods such as the Lagrangian method or the Newton's second law approach. However, these solutions may not be accurate for all cases as they assume ideal conditions and neglect certain factors such as non-linear drag forces.

5. How does the motion of a submerged pendulum differ from that of a pendulum in a vacuum?

The motion of a submerged pendulum differs from that of a pendulum in a vacuum due to the presence of fluid. The fluid provides resistance and buoyant forces, causing the pendulum to experience damping and a shift in its equilibrium position. This results in a decrease in amplitude and frequency of oscillations compared to a pendulum in a vacuum.