1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EOMs for T Shaped Pendulum with Non-Conservative Force

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    EOMs for "T" Shaped Pendulum with Non-Conservative Force

I have a set of equations of motion I'm trying to derive. This problem represents a 2-d approximation of the real system that I'm trying to derive equations of motion for modeling purposes.

There is a base mass and a top mass.

The base mass is constrained to move only in the x direction and is connected by a linear spring to ground which is meant to produce forces that restore the mass to the x = 0 position. Friction is ignored.

The top mass designated (the "T" shaped pendulum) can rotate about the point at the center of the base coordinate system. A torsional spring is operating on the pendulum to produce forces that restore it to the vertical position.

I've chosen my generalized coordinates to be x (corresponding to x-base) and theta (rotation of pendulum from horizontal).

I will include my derivations in reply to this post but my main question is whether I did the virtual work properly? Do I need to for any sort of moment-work?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2
    Re: EOMs for "T" Shaped Pendulum with Non-Conservative Force

System Figures

Attached Files:

4. Dec 16, 2008 #3

Pages 1 through 3

Attached Files:

5. Dec 16, 2008 #4

Pages 4 through 5

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?