Calculating Vertical Acceleration and Climb Time for Aircraft with Propeller On

• Thread starter Pogorz
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is attached to the spacecraft and it must climb to reach the speed at 1km in front of the aircraft in order to be released.
Pogorz
problem is attached

so far I've found all the variables i could, and I've noticed that the vertical acceleration is 1.5 times larger in the vertical direction when the propeller is on than when the aircraft is flying. there's just so many different variables and situations and everything that i don't know where to get started.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-03 at 2.52.02 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-03 at 2.52.02 PM.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The attachment is still pending approval.

Lancelot59 said:
The attachment is still pending approval.

okay, fixed that till it get approved.

image is now in thumbnail

Wow, that is one of the most horribly worded problems ever.

Also I can't see a way of doing that. In that particular system the spacecraft would remain under the aircraft from what I see.

yeah, it would, but then once the propellor kicks in it starts accelerating to get ahead of the aircraft.

and i agree, my prof really could've made this a lot less confusing by writing it out better =\

Oh wait, I just re-read it. So all you need to do is draw a triangle. You know all the angles, and one of the sides. That's enough to solve for the rest.

Or try using components. Get the X and Y components of the thrust, then see how long it would take to take to move 1km forward, then use that time to work out the amount it has to fall.

Okay, since the speed of the spacecraft is 0m/s relative to the aircraft, i can find the final velocity(horizontal) of the spacecraft relative to the aircraft. this is ~225m/s, which it takes 8.86s to get 1000m in front of the aircraft... so then what?

Now you solve for the Y part of it. Get the Y component of it's velocity at that point. Then use the time to backtrack and see just how far it has to climb to get to the speed at 1km in front of the aircraft.

Once you have the height relative to the airplane (it should be negative) then all you have to do is work a simple equation to see how long it would take to all that distance on it's own.

What is the Equal Weights problem?

The Equal Weights problem is a mathematical puzzle involving a set of weights and a balance scale. The goal is to determine the weight of a specific object by using the weights and the balance scale, while only being able to make a limited number of weighings.

How many weights are needed for the Equal Weights problem?

The minimum number of weights needed for the Equal Weights problem is 3. This is because the problem involves determining the weight of an object relative to other weights, and 3 weights are the minimum needed for comparison.

What is the strategy for solving the Equal Weights problem?

The most common strategy for solving the Equal Weights problem is the binary search method. This involves dividing the weights into two equal groups and using the balance scale to compare the weights in each group, narrowing down the possible weight of the object with each weighing.

Is there a limit to the number of weighings allowed in the Equal Weights problem?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of weighings allowed in the Equal Weights problem. The maximum number of weighings needed is determined by the number of weights used. For example, if 3 weights are used, a maximum of 2 weighings are needed.

Are there any variations of the Equal Weights problem?

Yes, there are several variations of the Equal Weights problem, including using a different number of weights, allowing for an unlimited number of weighings, and using a different type of balance scale. These variations can make the problem more challenging and require different strategies for solving it.