What is the equation for sine alpha when alpha is greater than 90 degrees?

In summary, the equation for sine alpha where alpha is greater than 90 degrees is b/c for the first triangle and -a/c for the second triangle. By sliding the vertical line in the first triangle to the left, the second triangle can be visualized and the equations for sine, cosine, and tangent can be determined by taking into account the negative value of a.
fawk3s
[PLAIN]http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8206/triangles.png

This is not a homework question, but it is something I can't wrap my mind around.
What is the equation for sine alpha where alpha is greater than 90 degrees?

For the first triangle its easy: sine alpha = b/c
But what is it for the second triangle?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fawk3s! :smile:

(have an alpha: α :wink:)

hmm … why have you swapped a and b in the second diagram? :confused:

Go back to the first diagram, and just slide the vertical line (marked "b") to the left (dragging c with it), until the bottom line is length a again (but to the left) …

then b and c will be the same, and a will be minus the same, so sin is the same, and cos and tan are minus. :wink:

(it's easier to follow this if you draw a circle with the α angle at the centre and c as a radius)

Well, I think I follow. It seems quite easy and now when I think about it, it makes pretty good sense.
It didnt at first, I have to admit, since it seemed like you were finding the sin for the same angle as in the first diagram, but it all makes sense now because "a" is negative. Just too bad I didnt think of it myself :(

Thanks tiny-tim !

1. What is the equation for sine alpha?

The equation for sine alpha is sin(α) = opposite/hypotenuse, where α represents the measure of the angle and the opposite and hypotenuse sides are in relation to the angle.

2. How do you solve for sine alpha?

To solve for sine alpha, you need to know the measure of the angle and the lengths of the opposite and hypotenuse sides. Then, you can use the equation sin(α) = opposite/hypotenuse to find the value of sine alpha.

3. Can the equation for sine alpha be used for any triangle?

No, the equation for sine alpha can only be used for right triangles. It is a specific trigonometric ratio that applies to the relationship between the opposite and hypotenuse sides in a right triangle.

4. What does the value of sine alpha represent?

The value of sine alpha represents the ratio of the length of the opposite side to the length of the hypotenuse side in a right triangle. It can also be interpreted as the vertical component of the triangle's hypotenuse.

5. How is the equation for sine alpha related to the unit circle?

The equation for sine alpha is closely related to the unit circle, which is a circle with a radius of 1. The sine of an angle can be represented by the y-coordinate of the point where the angle intersects the unit circle. This relationship allows for the use of the sine function in solving trigonometric problems and graphing trigonometric functions.