1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation for the tangent line

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equation for the tangent line to the curve f(x) = 2x3 - 5x - 3 at
    x = 2

2. Relevant equations
    How do i start this? I'm really confused and have an assignment with a bunch of these questions due tomorrow by midnight... if someone could help me that would be greatly appreciated..

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The derivative f'(x) will give you the slope of the tangent. x and f(x) will give you a point on the curve. If you have a point and a slope, you have the equation for the tangent line, right?

4. Jun 20, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One of the very first things you should learn in Calculus is that the derivative at a point is the slope of the tangent line. And even before Calculus you should have learned how to write the equation of a line given a point and the slope.

5. Jun 20, 2009 #4
    so basically 6x^2-5 ?

6. Jun 20, 2009 #5
    do i then plug in the 2? and solve?

7. Jun 20, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Basically" what about 6x^2- 5?

Plug 2 into what? Solve what? Please ask complete questions!

I said before that the derivative at a given value of x is the slope of the tangent line at that x. What is the derivative of your function? What is its value at x= 2?

Now, how do you find the equation of a line through a given point with given slope? (And what "given point" does this line go through?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook