Equation of a Magnetic Field of a Solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses a Physics student seeking help with a formula for modeling solenoids. The formula involves the current density, radius, and a function of alpha and beta, derived from the Biot Savart law by a French man whose name starts with an F. It is mentioned that the formula is used for engineering purposes and can be found in the book "Superconducting Magnets" by Martin Wilson. The book "Physics" by Hausmann-Slack also has a section on deriving the flux density of a straight solenoid. The conversation ends with a link to a webpage discussing the geometry factors needed for the formula.
eigenstaytes
I'm a Physics student currently working on some research with my advisor. My advisor doesn't know much about modeling solenoids so I've been tasked with reaching outside for help. I did that, but I can't remember the formula or the guy's name so I'm turning to you guys for help.

There is some formula that is of the format

[itex]B_{center}=(Current Density)*radius*F(\alpha, \beta); F(\alpha, \beta) = \ln\frac{something_{1}}{soemthing_{2}}[/itex]

If I remember correctly, this came about by some french guy who had integrated the Biot Savart law and came up with this. His name started with an F. I had it written down on a piece of paper with the guy who gave it to me, but I seem to have lost that paper. He said that it is used in engineering purposes since the biot savart law is used for the physics behind it. He pulled it out of Superconducting Magnets by Martin Wilson.

Can someone please help me re-find this so I can use it and I don't look like a fool by having to ask him again?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The book Physics by Hausmann-Slack has 5 1/2 pages on the derivation of the flux density on the central portion of a straight solenoid.
Physics book gives the field intensity as H=4PiNI/10l
H=field intensity in oersteds
Pi=3.14
N=Number of turns
I=current in amp.
l=Length in centimeters

1. What is the equation for the magnetic field of a solenoid?

The equation for the magnetic field of a solenoid is B = μ₀nI, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

2. How is the magnetic field of a solenoid affected by the number of turns?

The magnetic field strength of a solenoid is directly proportional to the number of turns per unit length. This means that increasing the number of turns will result in a stronger magnetic field.

3. Does the current flowing through a solenoid affect the magnetic field?

Yes, the current flowing through a solenoid is a key factor in determining the strength of the magnetic field. The equation for the magnetic field of a solenoid includes the current as a variable, so increasing the current will result in a stronger magnetic field.

4. What is the direction of the magnetic field inside a solenoid?

The magnetic field inside a solenoid is parallel to the axis of the solenoid, in the same direction as the current flowing through it. This means that the magnetic field lines are straight and parallel inside the solenoid.

5. Can the equation for the magnetic field of a solenoid be used for other shapes?

No, the equation specifically applies to a solenoid, which is a cylindrical coil of wire. Other shapes, such as toroids or straight wires, have their own equations for calculating the magnetic field strength.