1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of continuity with aorta and the forces exerted on an underwater vehicle

1. Feb 3, 2008 #1
    I'm having a lot of trouble with fluids I need some help on these two questions :/

the mariana trench is located in the floor of the Pacific Ocean at a depth of about 11 000 m below the surface of the water. The density of seawater is 1025 kg/m^3.
    if an underwater vehicle were to explore such a depth, what force would the water exert on the vehicles observation window (radius=.10m)?
    For comparison, determine the weight of a jetliner whose mass is 1.2x10^5 kg

The aorta carries blood away from the heart at a speed of 40 cm/s and has a radius of 1.1cm. The aorta branches eventually into a large number of tiny capillaries that distribute the blood to various organs. In a capillary, the blood speed is about .07 cm/s and the radius is about 6x10^-4cm. Treat the blood as an incompressible fluid, and use these data to determine the approximate number of capillaries in the human body

any help please? thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2008 #2
    Ok... I am new to this forum but I noticed your post and thought I'd lent a hand. I am enrolled in Advanced Placement Physics at my high school and we already went over fluids so I think i can help.

For your first question:

P = p*g*h
    P = F/A
    A = pi*r^2
    --so--
    F=P*A
    --and--
    F=p*g*h*pi*r^2

and the other part:

F = ma
    --so--
    Fg = m*g

For the second question:

It is flow rate...

AV(before) = AV(after)
    A = pi*r^2
    --so--
    pi*r^2*V = pi*r^2*V

since there are multiple capilaries...

r(of aorta)^2*V(of a.)
    ------------------------ (divided by) = Number of capilaries
    r(of capilaries)^2*V(of c.)

Hope this helped

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?