Equation of motion of magnetic dipole chain

In summary: The magnetic moment of each dipole is 2mμ, where m is the mass of each atom and μ is the magnetic moment of each atomIn summary, we are trying to find the equation of motion for a chain of atoms in 1D with alternating magnetic dipoles. At stationary equilibrium, the atoms are separated by a distance d and all displacements are small compared to d. The equations we will be using are U=μBx=2μ2(μ0/4π)(1/x^3) and F(x)=-dU/dx. The net force on
throneoo

Homework Statement

Find the equation of motion of a chain of atoms in 1D with alternating magnetic dipoles
At stationary equilibrium the atoms of mass m are separated by d , all displacements are small compared to d

Homework Equations

U=μBx=2μ20/4π)(1/x^3)
F(x)=-dU/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

The net force on particle n due to the dipole interactions
=F(xn-1-xn)-F(xn-xn+1)
However, I've found that if I fix the positions of the adjacent particles, the net force on particle n is a linear restoring force (with small displacement from eq. position). Can I assume that the atomic chain behaves as though they are connected by springs with identical fixed spring constant k? If so, the resultant equation would be

m*d2(xn)/dt2=-k*(2xn-xn-1-xn+1)

Physics news on Phys.org
bump

I could use a fuller description of the set-up. Are the dipoles end-to-end, or (more likely) parallel?
Are we after end-to-end oscillations, lateral oscillations, or both?
For an equilibrium position to exist, don't there need to be opposing forces? Are the ends fixed, perhaps? Or some short-range repulsion?

haruspex said:
I could use a fuller description of the set-up. Are the dipoles end-to-end, or (more likely) parallel?
Are we after end-to-end oscillations, lateral oscillations, or both?
For an equilibrium position to exist, don't there need to be opposing forces? Are the ends fixed, perhaps? Or some short-range repulsion?
In a 1d infinite lattice with lattice constant d
the dipoles are assumed to be fixed in direction such that they are either end to end or head to head, so the nth particle will be repelled by the n-1 th particle and n+1 th particle in opposite directions. The particles are also assumed to be only affected by adjacent particles and oscillate longitudinally.

It turns out that I don't need to mentioned assumption in OP as I could directly obtain the form
m*d2(xn)/dt2=-k*(2xn-xn-1-xn+1)
from FNet ; n=F(xn-1-xn)-F(xn-xn+1) where xm=m*d+hm(t) and hm is the displacement from the eq. position of the mth particle

throneoo said:
In a 1d infinite lattice with lattice constant d
the dipoles are assumed to be fixed in direction such that they are either end to end or head to head, so the nth particle will be repelled by the n-1 th particle and n+1 th particle in opposite directions. The particles are also assumed to be only affected by adjacent particles and oscillate longitudinally.
Are you using 'particle' interchangeably with 'dipole', or is one dipole two particles?
If two dipoles are end to end in the same direction, won't they attract? Always?
I still don't see how you get from dipoles to springs. The force in a spring is proportional to the spring extension. Force between electric charges goes as the inverse square of distance and doesn't switch between attraction and repulsion.

haruspex said:
Are you using 'particle' interchangeably with 'dipole', or is one dipole two particles?
If two dipoles are end to end in the same direction, won't they attract? Always?
I still don't see how you get from dipoles to springs. The force in a spring is proportional to the spring extension. Force between electric charges goes as the inverse square of distance and doesn't switch between attraction and repulsion.
the particles are individual magnetic dipoles. they are arranged such they have alternating spins so they behave like bar magnets with same poles facing each other. The linearity of the force is only an approximation at small displacements from their eq. position

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-04-10-31-52.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-04-10-31-52.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 395
throneoo said:
the particles are individual magnetic dipoles. they are arranged such they have alternating spins so they behave like bar magnets with same poles facing each other. The linearity of the force is only an approximation at small displacements from their eq. position
Ok, now I understand the arrangement, I see how you get the first order linearity.
Of course, each dipole has that sort of relationship to all the other dipoles, but it looks like this falls off as the inverse fifth power of distance, so maybe you only need consider adjacent ones.
Yes, that leads to the relationship you wrote in the OP, but I feel it would be more useful to write the right hand side as though n is a continuous variable. That should produce the usual wave equation.
What do you get for k in terms of the underlying constants (dipole strengths, spacing...)?

The physical embodiment of this arrangement still bothers me. What stops alternate dipoles flipping so that they all line up? What stops the whole chain expanding as the alternating dipoles repel each other? These considerations imply other forces, which would surely affect the wave behaviour.

haruspex said:
Ok, now I understand the arrangement, I see how you get the first order linearity.
Of course, each dipole has that sort of relationship to all the other dipoles, but it looks like this falls off as the inverse fifth power of distance, so maybe you only need consider adjacent ones.
Yes, that leads to the relationship you wrote in the OP, but I feel it would be more useful to write the right hand side as though n is a continuous variable. That should produce the usual wave equation.
What do you get for k in terms of the underlying constants (dipole strengths, spacing...)?

The physical embodiment of this arrangement still bothers me. What stops alternate dipoles flipping so that they all line up? What stops the whole chain expanding as the alternating dipoles repel each other? These considerations imply other forces, which would surely affect the wave behaviour.

I got k=6μ2μ0/πd5

and yeah I also feel the situation would be more complicated realistically

throneoo said:
I got k=6μ2μ0/πd5
Depending on what μ represents, I got the same.

haruspex said:
Depending on what μ represents, I got the same.
The magnetic moment

1. What is the equation of motion of a magnetic dipole chain?

The equation of motion of a magnetic dipole chain is given by the Lorentz force equation, which states that the net force on a particle is equal to the product of its charge and the sum of the electric and magnetic fields acting on it.

2. How is the equation of motion of a magnetic dipole chain derived?

The equation of motion of a magnetic dipole chain can be derived using the principles of classical mechanics and electromagnetism. It involves considering the forces and torques acting on each individual dipole in the chain, as well as the interactions between adjacent dipoles.

3. What factors affect the motion of a magnetic dipole chain?

The motion of a magnetic dipole chain is affected by factors such as the strength and orientation of the external magnetic field, the distance between adjacent dipoles, and the properties of the individual dipoles (e.g. their magnetic moment). Additionally, any external forces or torques acting on the chain can also impact its motion.

4. What are some applications of the equation of motion of a magnetic dipole chain?

The equation of motion of a magnetic dipole chain has various applications in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and biophysics. It can be used to study the behavior of ferromagnetic materials, design magnetic sensors and actuators, and understand the dynamics of biological systems such as flagella.

5. Are there any limitations to the equation of motion of a magnetic dipole chain?

Like any mathematical model, the equation of motion of a magnetic dipole chain has its limitations. It may not accurately describe the behavior of highly complex or non-uniform chains, and it may not take into account certain quantum effects that can be important at the nanoscale. Additionally, the equation assumes an idealized scenario and may not account for factors such as friction or thermal fluctuations that can affect the motion of the chain in real-world situations.