1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of path

1. Oct 12, 2006 #1
    The equation of a path is of the form: [itex]\vec r = \vec r_0 + \vec A t[/itex]
    If 't' represents time, show that the time of closest approach is:
    [tex]t = -\frac{\vec r_0 \cdot \vec A}{|\vec A|^2}[/tex]

I am not really sure on how to proceed about this, but I made a crude approach by assuming [itex]\vec r[/itex] and [itex]\vec r_0[/itex] to be perpendicular. I took the dot product with r0 on both sides of given equation.
    [tex]-\vec r_0^2 = \vec A \cdot \vec r_0 t[/tex]

I don't think this a right way to solve, please give some suggestions.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Closest approach to what?
  4. Oct 15, 2006 #3
    Oh sorry, I forget to add that. Find the distance of closest approach to the origin i. e. the distance from the origin to the line.
  5. Oct 15, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's not [itex]\vec r_0[/itex] that's perpendicular to [itex]\vec r[/itex], it's [itex]\vec A[/itex].
    At the point of closest approach, the vector in the direction of the line, that is, [itex]\vec A[/itex], is perpendicular to the position vector, [itex]\vec r_0+ \vec At[/itex] itself. That is [itex]\vec A \cdot (\vec r_0+ \vec At= 0[/itex]. That is, [itex]\vec A \cdot \vec r_0+ \vec A \cdot \vec A t= 0[/itex]. Can you solve that for t?
  6. Oct 16, 2006 #5
    Wow, thanks! That makes sense. :smile:
    [tex]-\vec A \cdot \vec r_0 = |\vec A|^2t[/tex]

[tex]t = -\frac{\vec r_0 \cdot \vec A}{|\vec A|^2}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?