Find Closest Approach Time in Equation of Path

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, the equation for a path is of the form: \vec r = \vec r_0 + \vec A t. The time of closest approach can be found by setting \vec A \cdot \vec r_0 = |\vec A|^2t, which gives the equation t = -\frac{\vec r_0 \cdot \vec A}{|\vec A|^2}. This represents the time at which the position vector \vec r is closest to the origin along the line defined by \vec A.
Reshma
The equation of a path is of the form: [itex]\vec r = \vec r_0 + \vec A t[/itex]
If 't' represents time, show that the time of closest approach is:
[tex]t = -\frac{\vec r_0 \cdot \vec A}{|\vec A|^2}[/tex]

I am not really sure on how to proceed about this, but I made a crude approach by assuming [itex]\vec r[/itex] and [itex]\vec r_0[/itex] to be perpendicular. I took the dot product with r0 on both sides of given equation.
[tex]-\vec r_0^2 = \vec A \cdot \vec r_0 t[/tex]

I don't think this a right way to solve, please give some suggestions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Closest approach to what?

Oh sorry, I forget to add that. Find the distance of closest approach to the origin i. e. the distance from the origin to the line.

It's not [itex]\vec r_0[/itex] that's perpendicular to [itex]\vec r[/itex], it's [itex]\vec A[/itex].
At the point of closest approach, the vector in the direction of the line, that is, [itex]\vec A[/itex], is perpendicular to the position vector, [itex]\vec r_0+ \vec At[/itex] itself. That is [itex]\vec A \cdot (\vec r_0+ \vec At= 0[/itex]. That is, [itex]\vec A \cdot \vec r_0+ \vec A \cdot \vec A t= 0[/itex]. Can you solve that for t?

Wow, thanks! That makes sense. :smile:
[tex]-\vec A \cdot \vec r_0 = |\vec A|^2t[/tex]

[tex]t = -\frac{\vec r_0 \cdot \vec A}{|\vec A|^2}[/tex]

1. How do I calculate the closest approach time in an equation of path?

To calculate the closest approach time, you will need to use the equation of path, which takes into account the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object. You will also need to know the distance between the two objects and their relative velocities. Once you have all of this information, you can plug it into the equation and solve for the closest approach time.

2. What is the importance of finding the closest approach time?

The closest approach time is important because it tells you when two objects will be at their closest distance to each other. This can be useful in predicting collisions or determining the timing of a rendezvous between two objects.

3. Can the closest approach time be negative or zero?

Yes, the closest approach time can be negative or zero. A negative closest approach time means that the objects have already passed their closest distance and are now moving apart. A zero closest approach time means that the objects are currently at their closest distance.

4. How can I use the closest approach time to determine the trajectory of an object?

The closest approach time can be used to determine the trajectory of an object by calculating the position of the object at the closest approach time. This will give you an idea of where the object will be in relation to another object at a specific time.

5. Are there any limitations to using the closest approach time in an equation of path?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the closest approach time. It assumes that the objects are moving in a straight line, and it does not take into account any external forces or factors that may affect the trajectory of the objects. It is also important to note that the closest approach time is an approximation and may not be completely accurate.