Equation of sphere given 3 pointcalc 3

• Thread starter memish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, the equation of the sphere that contains the points (-3,0,0), (3,4,4), and (-4,3,4) with its center on the xz plane is (x-x_0)^2+y^2+(z-z_0)^2=r^2 where (x_0,0,z_0) is the center. This can be solved by substituting the points into the general equation and solving for the unknowns.
memish

Homework Statement

Find the equation of a sphere that contains the points (-3,0,0) (3,4,4) and (-4,3,4) if its center lies on the xz plane

Homework Equations

Not sure...i used the distance formula though

The Attempt at a Solution

This class has just started and i have no idea where to start with this becuase this is our first homework! I am trying to find a point equidistant from all three points that could be the center, but I could only find a plane which I found to be 2z+3x=4

Please help! I am really frustrated =(

Physics news on Phys.org
memish said:

Homework Equations

Not sure...i used the distance formula though

General of a sphere

(x-h)2+(y-j)2+(z-k)2=r2 where (h,j,k) is the centre of the sphere.

you have three points and what plane the centre lies on

This question is like an analogy to those involving simultaneous equations. ;) Try to substitute the 3 points into the general equations and solve for the unknowns.

thanks, rockfreak

lkh - what do you mean by the problems with simultaneous equations?

ohhh ok thanks! i got it it was much simpler than i thought :)

Because the center lies on the xz plane than its coordinates are (x,0,z)

The equation would be:

[tex](x-x_0)^2+y^2+(z-z_0)^2=r^2[/tex]

1. What is the equation of a sphere given 3 points?

The equation of a sphere can be determined by using the 3 given points and solving for the radius and center of the sphere. The equation is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 + (z-j)^2 = r^2, where (h,k,j) is the center of the sphere and r is the radius.

2. How do you find the center of the sphere?

The center of the sphere can be found by finding the midpoint of the line connecting any two of the given points. This midpoint will be the center of the sphere (h,k,j).

3. How do you find the radius of the sphere?

The radius of the sphere can be found by taking the distance between the center of the sphere and any of the given points. This distance will be the value of r in the equation.

4. Can the equation of a sphere be determined with only 2 points?

No, the equation of a sphere requires at least 3 points to be determined. With only 2 points, the sphere can be infinitely large and have different center points.

5. Is there a specific order in which the 3 points should be used to find the equation of a sphere?

No, the order of the points does not matter as long as they are all used in the equation. However, using points that are not collinear (lie on the same line) will result in a more accurate equation.