Find an equation of the largest sphere

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary, the largest sphere with center (5, 4, 9) that is contained in the first octant can be represented by the equation (x-5)^2 + (y-4)^2 + (z-9)^2 = R^2, where R must be no greater than 4. This is because the center is only 4 units away from the xz-plane, so if R is greater than 4, the sphere will intersect the plane.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the largest sphere with center (5, 4, 9) that is contained in the first octant.

Homework Equations

x2 + y2 + z2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
(x - 5)2 + (y - 4)2 + (z - 9)2 = R2
I am under the impression that R must be no greater than 4, is this true?
My logic stems from the fact that the center is situated at (5, 4, 9), so it is only 4 units away from the y axis. If R > 4, then it will intersect the XZ plane. My textbook does not have answers, so I am not sure if my reasoning is valid.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the largest sphere with center (5, 4, 9) that is contained in the first octant.

Homework Equations

x2 + y2 + z2

[/B]
My logic stems from the fact that the center is situated at (5, 4, 9), so it is only 4 units away from the y axis. If R > 4, then it will intersect the XZ plane. My textbook does not have answers, so I am not sure if my reasoning is valid.
Yes, that's correct.

Likes Calpalned
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x2 + y2 + z2

[/B]
My logic stems from the fact that the center is situated at (5, 4, 9), so it is only 4 units away from the y axis.
Actually, the crucial point is that it is only 4 units away from the xz- plane.

If R > 4, then it will intersect the XZ plane. My textbook does not have answers, so I am not sure if my reasoning is valid.

FAQ: Find an equation of the largest sphere

1. How do you find the equation of the largest sphere?

To find the equation of the largest sphere, you need to know the coordinates of its center and its radius. The general equation of a sphere is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 + (z-l)^2 = r^2, where (h,k,l) are the coordinates of the center and r is the radius. To find the largest sphere, you will need to determine the maximum value of r based on the given constraints or conditions.

2. What is the largest sphere that can fit in a given space?

The largest sphere that can fit in a given space will have a radius equal to half the length of the shortest side of the space. This is known as the inscribed sphere and it will be tangent to all six faces of the space.

3. Can the largest sphere intersect with other objects in the space?

No, the largest sphere will not intersect with any other objects in the space. It will be completely contained within the given space and will not touch or overlap with any other objects.

4. How do you know if a sphere is the largest possible in a given space?

A sphere will be considered the largest in a given space if it has the maximum possible radius and is tangent to all six faces of the space. This means that it is not possible to increase the radius or move the center of the sphere without it intersecting with other objects in the space.

5. Can you find the equation of the largest sphere without knowing the coordinates of its center?

No, the equation of the largest sphere cannot be determined without knowing the coordinates of its center. The center of the sphere is a crucial component in the equation and without it, the equation would not accurately represent the largest sphere in the given space.

Back