Equation of tangent line at sqrt(x)

In summary, the equation of the tangent line to the curve at the given point is y = \frac{\sqrt{x}}{x+1}. The quotient rule can be used to solve for the equation of the tangent line.
loadsy
Hey, right now in our calculus course we are currently working on "derivatives" using the differentiation equations. I was hoping that someone could help me out with the following question:

Find the equation of the tangent line to the curve at the given point.

y = rootX , (4, 0.4)
------
X + 1

It's not an overly difficult question because we know that the equation is y-0.4 = m(x-4) and we are looking for m(the slope), and we also know that we should be using the formula f'(x)g(x)-g(x)f'(x)/[g(x)]^2

However, I'm still having some difficulties in working this out, if someone could please shed some light on this, I'd be happy. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
So [tex] y = \frac{\sqrt{x}}{x+1} [/tex]. Have you used the quotient rule?

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{(x+1)\frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}} - x^{\frac{1}{2}}}{(x+1)^{2}} [/tex]

Can you simplify this? You could just put in x = 4, without simplifying. Do you understand how to get the above expression?

[tex] f(x) = \sqrt{x}[/tex] and [tex] g(x) = x+1 [/tex]So what is [tex] f'(x) [/tex] and [tex] g'(x) [/tex]?

Last edited:
Well, you have the method, so now work it out step by step:

[tex] f(x) = \sqrt{x} [/tex]

[tex] g(x) = x+1 [/tex]

[tex] \left(\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\right)' = \frac{g(x)f'(x) - f(x)g'(x)}{[g(x)]^2} [/tex]

Anyway, this is your cue to take over:

[tex] f'(x) = \textrm{?} [/tex]

[tex] g'(x) = \textrm{?} [/tex]

Substitute these expressions into the expression for the derivative and evaluate at x = 4.

Last edited:
Ahhh alrighty, well I understand what you are saying, but I did the following:
dy
-- = (x+1)d/dx (squarerootx) - (squarerootx)d/dx(x+1)
dx -------------------------------
(X+1)^2

= (x+1)1 - (squarerootX)1
-------
2squarerootX
---------------------------------
(x+1)^2

Is that stating the same thing as you had, or have I misinterpreted this.

Also, after that step, I'm not sure how to simplify it though. I know the (x+1)^2 moves up and the denominator becomes 2squarerootX(X+1)^2 but it's solving in the numerator that is giving me troubles.

Last edited:
Actually nevermind what I just said, how abouts do you simplify the expression you just gave me courtrigad? Could you just take out the x^-0.5?

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{(x+1)\frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}} - x^{\frac{1}{2}}}{(x+1)^{2}} = \frac{\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}-\frac{\sqrt{x}}{1}}{x+1} = \frac{1-2x}{2\sqrt{x}(x+1)} [/tex]Divide by [tex] x+1 [/tex] in the numerator and denominator and change [tex] x^{-\frac{1}{2}} [/tex] to [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} [/tex]

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, how did I miss that? Haha I feel very silly now. Thank you so much, I actually just talked it over with a friend and he said the same thing. Thanks for your time though, I really appreciate it! :D

Related to Equation of tangent line at sqrt(x)

1. What is the equation of the tangent line at sqrt(x)?

The equation of the tangent line at sqrt(x) is y = 1/2√x + √x/2.

2. How do you find the slope of the tangent line at sqrt(x)?

The slope of the tangent line at sqrt(x) can be found by taking the derivative of the function, which results in 1/2√x.

3. Can the equation of the tangent line at sqrt(x) be used to find points on the curve?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line at sqrt(x) can be used to find points on the curve by plugging in values of x into the equation to get corresponding y values.

4. Is the equation of the tangent line at sqrt(x) always a straight line?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line at sqrt(x) is always a straight line because the derivative of a square root function is a constant value.

5. How does the equation of the tangent line at sqrt(x) relate to the graph of the function?

The equation of the tangent line at sqrt(x) represents the slope of the function at a specific point on the graph. The slope of the tangent line at any point on the graph is equal to the slope of the function at that point.