Equation of Tangents: Finding Two Tangents to an Ellipse from a Point (5,2)

• Thread starter smart_worker
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, once you have the x-coordinates of the points of tangency, you can find the corresponding y-coordinates by plugging them into the equation of the ellipse. Then you can use the point-slope form to find the equations of the tangents.
smart_worker

Homework Statement

Find the equations of the two tangents that can be drawn from
the point (5, 2) to the ellipse 2x2 + 7y2 = 14

Homework Equations

2x2 + 7y2 = 14
differentiating we get slope = -2x/7y

The Attempt at a Solution

y = slope(x)+c
y = -2x2/7y +c

when we plug in x and y we get c=39/7

so 5x+7y=39 is coming as answer

but it seems to be wrong.the questions says there has to be two tangents but how?:confused:

can someone please explain this?

x − y = 3 and x − 9y + 13 = 0.

puzzled i don't know how

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a circle. Put a point somewhere outside the circle. How many tangents to the circle can you draw which pass thru the point outside the circle?

smart_worker said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

2x2 + 7y2 = 14
This is the slope at a point on the ellipse, not at the given point (5, 2). If you sketch the ellipse you'll see that there are two points that have tangents that go to (5, 2).
smart_worker said:

y = slope(x)+c
y = -2x2/7y +c

but it seems to be wrong.the questions says there has to be two tangents but how?:confused:

puzzled i don't know how

Since the question involves calculus I have moved it to the Calculus & Beyond section.

Mark44 said:
This is the slope at a point on the ellipse, not at the given point (5, 2). If you sketch the ellipse you'll see that there are two points that have tangents that go to (5, 2).

ok but now,what should i do to solve this?

Any point on the ellipse has coordinates (x, ##\pm \sqrt{2 - (2/7)x^2}##). Write an expression for the slope between a point on the ellipse and (5, 2), and set it equal to the slope you already found. You should get two x values.

smart_worker said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

2x2 + 7y2 = 14

y = slope(x)+c
y = -2x2/7y +c

puzzled i don't know how
You have to understand the meaning of the mathematics here. You can't just push symbols around, substituting one quantity for another just because they're both labelled "x" or "y" in different contexts or just because they're both referred to as a slope.

Mark44 said:
Any point on the ellipse has coordinates (x, ##\pm \sqrt{2 - (2/7)x^2}##). Write an expression for the slope between a point on the ellipse and (5, 2), and set it equal to the slope you already found. You should get two x values.

nope i am getting complex roots

How? Are you setting x=5 in ##\sqrt{2-(2/7)x^2}##?

vela said:
How? Are you setting x=5 in ##\sqrt{2-(2/7)x^2}##?
hello vela,
i used the slope formula:
(2-##\sqrt{2-(2/7)x^2}##)/(5-x) = -2x/7(##\sqrt{2-(2/7)x^2}##)

That does not answer vela's question. Did you set x= 5 in that formula as you were told? Doing that you will NOT get a complex number.

HallsofIvy said:
That does not answer vela's question. Did you set x= 5 in that formula as you were told? Doing that you will NOT get a complex number.
Actually, if you do that, you will get a complex number. I figured that's how the OP was managing to get complex roots.

smart_worker said:
hello vela,
i used the slope formula:
(2-##\sqrt{2-(2/7)x^2}##)/(5-x) = -2x/7(##\sqrt{2-(2/7)x^2}##)
This is correct and get you one of the lines. You shouldn't be getting complex roots, however. Without seeing your subsequent work, we can't tell where you're going wrong.

yes i am getting 7/3 and -7/13.Now can i find y and plug it into the slope.

Last edited:

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane whose distances from two fixed points, called foci, are constant.

2. What is the equation of tangents?

The equation of tangents is a mathematical formula used to find the points where a line is tangent to a curve. In the context of finding two tangents to an ellipse from a point, the equation of tangents is used to determine the points on the ellipse where the tangent lines intersect with the ellipse.

3. How do you find two tangents to an ellipse from a point?

To find two tangents to an ellipse from a point, you will need the coordinates of the point and the equation of the ellipse. Using the equation of tangents, you can solve for the points of intersection between the tangent lines and the ellipse. These points of intersection will be the points where the tangents touch the ellipse.

4. Why is finding two tangents to an ellipse from a point important?

Finding two tangents to an ellipse from a point is important because it allows us to determine the points on the ellipse where a line is tangent, which has various real-world applications. For example, in optics, it is used to determine the path of a ray of light refracted by an ellipse-shaped lens.

5. Can there be more than two tangents to an ellipse from a point?

Yes, there can be more than two tangents to an ellipse from a point. However, in the context of finding two tangents to an ellipse from a point, we are specifically looking for the two tangents that intersect with the ellipse at the given point. The number of tangents will vary depending on the position of the point in relation to the ellipse.