Solving Challenging 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st Degree Equations

• Thread starter evagelos
  • Start date
In summary, the given equation, after expanding the terms on the left hand side, results in a 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st degree equation, making it difficult to solve. To find a solution with respect to x, use the fact that (x-a)^4 = ((x-a)^2)^2 and then solve for x. The possible solutions for x are x = \frac{2ab}{a+b}, \frac{a^2+b^2}{a+b}, and x = 0. It is also possible that one of these solutions is a double solution.
evagelos

Homework Statement

The equation is:[tex]\frac{(a-x)^4+(x-b)^4}{(a+b-2x)^2}=\frac{a^4+b^4}{(a+b)^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I expanded the terms on the L.H.S and ended up with an equation of 4th,3rd,2nd ,1st degree equation very difficult to solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
evagelos said:

Homework Statement

The equation is:[tex]\frac{(a-x)^4+(x-b)^4}{(a+b-2x)^2}=\frac{a^4+b^4}{(a+b)^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I expanded the terms on the L.H.S and ended up with an equation of 4th,3rd,2nd ,1st degree equation very difficult to solve.

Am I correct to assume that you are suppose to find a solution with respect to x?

I get that x is either [tex]x = \frac{2ab}{a+b}[/tex] or [tex]\frac{a^2+b^2}{a+b}[/tex] or x = 0

just remember that [tex](a-x)^4 = ((a-x)^2)^2[/tex]

Last edited:
Susanne217 said:
Am I correct to assume that you are suppose to find a solution with respect to x?

I get that x is either [tex]x = \frac{2ab}{a+b}[/tex] or [tex]\frac{a^2+b^2}{a+b}[/tex] or x = 0

Yes you right ,but how did you get those solutions?

But is it not there a forth solution ,or one of them is double??

evagelos said:
Yes you right ,but how did you get those solutions?

But is it not there a forth solution ,or one of them is double??

1) Use the fact that (x-a)^4 = ((x-a)^2)^2 and then solve with respect to x

Susanne217 said:
1) Use the fact that (x-a)^4 = ((x-a)^2)^2 and then solve with respect to x

I am sorry can you elaborate a little more ,i cannot follow.

evagelos said:
I am sorry can you elaborate a little more ,i cannot follow.

Sorry I didn't report back to yesterday had an upset stomac :(

You expand the lefthand side as I showed you and then solve it respect to x.

FAQ: Solving Challenging 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st Degree Equations

What is the difference between 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st degree equations?

4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st degree equations refer to the highest power of the variable in the equation. In a 4th degree equation, the highest power is 4, in a 3rd degree equation, the highest power is 3, and so on.

What are the steps for solving a 4th degree equation?

The steps for solving a 4th degree equation are: 1) Simplify the equation by combining like terms, 2) Move all terms to one side of the equation, leaving 0 on the other side, 3) Factor the equation, 4) Set each factor equal to 0 and solve for the variable, 5) Check the solutions by plugging them back into the original equation.

How do you solve a 3rd degree equation with complex roots?

To solve a 3rd degree equation with complex roots, you can use the Rational Root Theorem to find the possible rational roots. Then, use synthetic division or long division to find the remaining quadratic equation. Finally, use the quadratic formula to solve for the complex roots.

What is the difference between an equation and an expression?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows that two expressions are equal. It uses an equal sign (=) to show that the two sides are equal. An expression, on the other hand, is a mathematical phrase that contains numbers, variables, and operations, but does not have an equal sign.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving challenging equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving challenging equations are: 1) Forgetting to distribute when simplifying, 2) Forgetting to apply the order of operations, 3) Taking the square root of both sides without considering positive and negative solutions, 4) Making careless errors when solving for the variable, and 5) Not checking solutions back into the original equation.

Back