Equation that is y=(Vi^2)/2g

• Thread starter jacksonbobby5
  • Start date
In summary, The person is trying to calculate the distance a kangaroo would travel on planet Y with a specified gravity and initial velocity. They are considering using the formula y=Vi(time)+1/2g(time)^2 or y=(Vi^2)/2g, but are unsure if it is a valid kinematic equation. The time of flight for the kangaroo's jump is calculated to be 1.333 seconds and the distance traveled is dependent on the angle, which is not specified.
jacksonbobby5
So if I have a kangaroo on planet Y with a specified gravity of 12m/s^2. If he jumps with an inital velocity of 8m/s, how far would he travel?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you attempted thus far? What are your thoughts?

Well I thought I would use the formula y=Vi(time)+1/2g(time)^2, but I don't have a time, just initial velocity and gravity.

jacksonbobby5 said:
Well I thought I would use the formula y=Vi(time)+1/2g(time)^2, but I don't have a time, just initial velocity and gravity.
Which other kinematic equations do you know? You need to pick one with all the variables in that you know plus the one which you want to find out.

Well, I also had read about an equation that is y=(Vi^2)/2g but I wasnt sure wether this was a valid equation or a kinematic equation. Any clue?

jacksonbobby5 said:
Well, I also had read about an equation that is y=(Vi^2)/2g but I wasnt sure wether this was a valid equation or a kinematic equation. Any clue?
Sounds goot to me :approve:

assume a level ground with no atmospheric resistance.

time of flight for the first half (rising) is t = (v-u)/g = 0.666 sec, sot he time of flight for the last half descent is also 0.666 sec. Total time is thus 1.333 sec.

with no reistance to motion in the x-axis the distance traveled is just the (X component of velocity) x time, do you know the angle?

1. What is the meaning of the equation y=(Vi^2)/2g?

The equation y=(Vi^2)/2g represents the vertical displacement (y) of an object in free fall, where Vi is the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived from the basic kinematic equation for displacement, y=Vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where a is the acceleration. Since the object is in free fall, a is equal to the acceleration due to gravity (g), which is a constant value. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for y and get y=(Vi^2)/2g.

3. Can this equation be used for objects with different initial velocities?

Yes, this equation can be used for objects with any initial velocity (Vi). The equation takes into account the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity to calculate the vertical displacement of the object.

4. How does this equation relate to projectile motion?

This equation is a simplified version of the equation for projectile motion, which takes into account both the horizontal and vertical components of the object's motion. When the object is only moving in the vertical direction, this simplified equation can be used.

5. What are the units for the different variables in this equation?

The units for y (vertical displacement) and Vi (initial velocity) are meters (m), while the unit for g (acceleration due to gravity) is meters per second squared (m/s^2).