Find Initial Velocity of Projectile Fired from Above Ground Level

In summary: It seems that you have the correct equation, but may have copied it down incorrectly. To find the correct value for v, you can use the average range and height values from your three trials and plug them into the equation. In summary, the equation for finding the initial velocity of a ball fired from a cannon is vnought = (2*g*x*tan(θ)) / (cos(θ) * (xtan(θ)+2H)), and you can use the average values from your trials to calculate the velocity.
dotachin
I'm currently doing a Lab in my University Physics class to calculate the initial velocity of a ball right as it's fired from a cannon. I'm not particularly looking for the answers, just the equation needed (i think I copied the equation from the professor incorrectly).

Here's what I have:
vnought = v/cos(θ)(g/2(xtan(θ)+H)), x= range, H = height off the ground. v is what i believe i copied down wrong. the issue I'm running into is we didn't take velocity data, only the range, height off the ground, and angle of the cannon.

my question is a) is this right and I'm just blanking out in a way to find the v? or b) what is the correct equation

I have some sample data if it would help with calculations. we did three shots and averaged them together for a general range.
trial 1: θ=5°, xavg = 5.13m, H= 1.0m

Physics news on Phys.org
trial 2: θ= 10°, xavg = 11.0m, H= 1.3mtrial 3: θ = 15°, xavg = 18.9m, H= 0.7m The correct equation for calculating the initial velocity of a ball fired from a cannon is: vnought = (2*g*x*tan(θ)) / (cos(θ) * (xtan(θ)+2H))where g is the acceleration due to gravity, x is the range, θ is the angle of the cannon, and H is the height off the ground.

1. What is the formula for finding the initial velocity of a projectile fired from above ground level?

The formula for finding the initial velocity of a projectile fired from above ground level is v0 = √(g × h), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the projectile is fired.

2. How do you determine the initial velocity of a projectile fired from above ground level without knowing the height?

If the height is unknown, the initial velocity can be determined using the equation v0 = √(2 × g × d), where d is the horizontal distance traveled by the projectile.

3. Can the initial velocity of a projectile fired from above ground level be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity can be negative if the projectile is fired at an angle below the horizontal. This means that the projectile is launched downward rather than upward.

4. How does air resistance affect the initial velocity of a projectile fired from above ground level?

Air resistance can decrease the initial velocity of a projectile by exerting a force in the opposite direction of motion. This force is known as drag and it increases with the speed of the projectile. Therefore, air resistance may cause the projectile to have a lower initial velocity than expected.

5. Is the initial velocity of a projectile fired from above ground level constant?

No, the initial velocity of a projectile is not constant. It decreases as the projectile travels due to the effects of air resistance and gravity. However, if the effects of air resistance are negligible, the initial velocity can be considered constant.