Equations for Accelerated Motion Problem 2

In summary, a car traveling at 60 mi/h stops in 6 seconds and travels a distance of 80.46 m. However, it is important to take into account the negative acceleration in the calculation.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A car traveling at 60 mi/h stops in 6 seconds. How far does it travel during this time?

Homework Equations

a=Δv/Δt
x=xinitial+vinitialt+1/2(a)t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I changed units into the standard ones:
60 mi/h *1609.34 m/1 mi * 1 h/3600 s = 26.8223 (the 3 seemed to be repeating.)

Then I used a=Δv/Δt, assuming the Vinitial was zero:
26.8223/6
a≈4.47 m/s^2

Finally, I plugged my numbers into this equation:

and got 80.46 m.

Would someone please check that this is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Medgirl314 said:

Homework Statement

A car traveling at 60 mi/h stops in 6 seconds. How far does it travel during this time?

Homework Equations

a=Δv/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

First I changed units into the standard ones:
60 mi/h *1609.34 m/1 mi * 1 h/3600 s = 26.8223 (the 3 seemed to be repeating.)

Then I used a=Δv/Δt, assuming the Vinitial was zero:
26.8223/6
a≈4.47 m/s^2

Finally, I plugged my numbers into this equation:

and got 80.46 m.

Would someone please check that this is correct?
That assumption isn't correct. The given velocity in the question is the initial velocity. And it stops after 6 seconds. Acceleration would be negative. And it seems you did take that into account in the final equation, otherwise the answer wouldn't be correct. Yes, the answer is correct. But be careful for the values you choose and assumptions you make, acceleration is negative anyhow in this case.

Edit: if you take ##a## to be positive, the final equation would have a minus sign.

##x=x_{initial}+v_{initial}.t-\frac{1}{2}.a.t^2##

Likes 1 person
Okay, thank you! I didn't take the negative acceleration into consideration at all, so thanks for pointing it out! I also used vintial twice when I meant to say one was vfinal. Oh! I got it backwards, the initial velocity was the given and the final velocity was zero. Thanks again!

What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for calculating acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = Δv / Δt, while instantaneous acceleration can be calculated using a = dv / dt.

How do you solve for displacement in an accelerated motion problem?

To solve for displacement in an accelerated motion problem, you can use the formula d = vi * t + (1/2)a * t^2, where d is the displacement, vi is the initial velocity, t is the time interval, and a is the acceleration.

What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is increasing, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing. Positive acceleration is represented by a positive value, while negative acceleration is represented by a negative value in equations.

How can you use the equations for accelerated motion to solve real-world problems?

The equations for accelerated motion can be used to determine the velocity, acceleration, displacement, and time of an object in motion. By plugging in known values and solving for unknowns, you can apply these equations to solve real-world problems such as calculating the speed of a car or the acceleration of a roller coaster.