1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of a triangle

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    I am working on some matlab for my engineering classes and I need help with understanding a given diagram.

In the attached diagram, I need help understanding how we determined the equations

For example, I would like to know the equations for a triangle with the peak at 2/3L

I know the equations would be from

0<=x<=2/3L
    2/3L<=x<=L

but I need help creating the equations.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2
    If you have two points on a straight line at (0,0) and (L/2,h) and you are asked to determine the equation of that line, do you know how to determine it, say, in slope-intercept form?

Same thing for the other line through the points (L/2,h) and (L,0).

Chet

4. Apr 12, 2014 #3
    Okay that makes sense, but when I solve like that I end up with a negative in the second equation and still not sure where the x comes in
    m1=h/L/2 or 2h/L
    m2=-h/L/2 or -2h/L

I apply that to my 2/3 triangle

m1=3h/2L
    m2=-3h/L
    both my m2's are negative but the given equation has the original m2 as positive.

btw thanks for the tip so far

EDIT:

actually give me a minute before you answer, i think I need to plug it into y=mx+b

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  5. Apr 12, 2014 #4
    So my actual problem has the triangle peak at 3/4L and the peak is represented by h

please verify my equations
    slope 1 = 4h/3L
    slope 2 = -4h/L

equation 1 = 4hx/3L
    equation 2 = -4hx/L + 12h or (4h(3L-x))/L

Please verify I did it correctly

Thank you

6. Apr 12, 2014 #5
    You can verify it yourself. In eqn 2, if you substitute x = L, do you get y = 0?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted