Equations of alternating half circles

• Thread starter mattveeg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, Matt is working on a final project for vector calculus and has created a 3D model of -sin(sqrt(x^2+y^2)) on top of a circle with diameter 10.3125. However, instead of using a sine function, he used half circles with diameter 47/32. He needs help with the formula in order to complete the required vector calculus calculations for his project. He also shared a description of his model, which involves drawing a line on plastic and cutting out half circles to create a blade. He has filled a spring form with plaster of paris and spun the blade to create a shape similar to z=-cos(sqrt(x^2+y^2)). He is looking for assistance with finding the
mattveeg
I working on a final project for vector calculus and am stuck on the equation of my line. I have made a 3d model of -sin (sqrt(x^2+y^2) on top of a circle with D 10.3125 the kicker is instead of a sin I made it with connecting half circles with D 47/32. I need help with the formula before I can do all the vector calculus stuff required for my project.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really have no idea what you are talking about. Do you mean that you graphed z= -sin(sqrt(x^2+ y^2))? And what do you mean by "on top of a circle"? How is your two dimensional circle oriented in the three dimensional model?

I drew a straight line on a piece of 3/16 thick plastic. I then drew seven half circles with r= 47/64 alternating above and below x. similar to y= -cos(sqrt (x^2)). Then I cut out below the half circles making a blade of sorts. I then filled a baking spring form with plaster of paris and spun the blade creating something similar to z=-cos(sqrt(x^2+y^2)) except that because I used circles it is not a cosine function. I need to find gradient, tangent planes, volume, surface area etc, but can not without the first formula. thanks for your quick reply, Matt

Last edited:

1. What is an equation of alternating half circles?

An equation of alternating half circles is a mathematical representation of a shape that consists of a series of alternating half circles, where the radius and center of each half circle change in a predictable pattern.

2. How do you graph an equation of alternating half circles?

To graph an equation of alternating half circles, you can plot points by substituting values for x in the equation and then connecting the points with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the graph for you.

3. What is the pattern for the radius and center of alternating half circles?

The pattern for the radius and center of alternating half circles can vary, but it often involves a constant change in the radius or center for each half circle. For example, the radius may increase by a constant amount for each half circle, or the center may shift by a constant amount for each half circle.

4. Can equations of alternating half circles represent real-life objects?

Yes, equations of alternating half circles can be used to represent real-life objects such as arches, domes, and certain types of bridges. These shapes are often found in architecture and engineering designs.

5. What are some practical applications of equations of alternating half circles?

Equations of alternating half circles have various practical applications, including in architecture, engineering, and design. They can also be used in mathematical models for predicting and analyzing natural phenomena, such as the movement of waves and tides.