1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of alternating half circles

1. Jun 15, 2012 #1
    I working on a final project for vector calculus and am stuck on the equation of my line. I have made a 3d model of -sin (sqrt(x^2+y^2) on top of a circle with D 10.3125 the kicker is instead of a sin I made it with connecting half circles with D 47/32. I need help with the formula before I can do all the vector calculus stuff required for my project.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I really have no idea what you are talking about. Do you mean that you graphed z= -sin(sqrt(x^2+ y^2))? And what do you mean by "on top of a circle"? How is your two dimensional circle oriented in the three dimensional model?

4. Jun 15, 2012 #3
    I drew a straight line on a piece of 3/16 thick plastic. I then drew seven half circles with r= 47/64 alternating above and below x. similar to y= -cos(sqrt (x^2)). Then I cut out below the half circles making a blade of sorts. I then filled a baking spring form with plaster of paris and spun the blade creating something similar to z=-cos(sqrt(x^2+y^2)) except that because I used circles it is not a cosine function. I need to find gradient, tangent planes, volume, surface area etc, but can not without the first formula. thanks for your quick reply, Matt

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook