Equations of motion accounting for drag

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations of motion and the drag equation to account for drag when the acceleration is not constant. It is suggested that Newton's second law can be used to find the equations for position when the forces are specified. The use of Long and Weiss' equations is also mentioned as a resource.
Egaston

Homework Statement

I need something like the equations of motion, but accounting for drag as given by the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_equation" . Particularly for:

Homework Equations

[tex]& v && = v_0+at \qquad[/tex]
[tex]& s && = s_0 + v_0t + \tfrac12 at^2 \qquad[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have racked my brains for hours on this but can't make any progress. Google doesn't seem to be giving me much either (at least with my search terms). I am not formally educated in physics at all so there might be some obvious solution that I am missing.

I've tried to work out velocity by calculating drag and acceleration as a series of updates and seeing if it approaches any sort of useful value, but no matter what I try the equations always end up approaching either 0 or v0+at when I increase the frequency of the updates.

This isn't really a homework assignment, but this seems to be the only part of the forums suitable for these sorts of questions. Assistance would be really appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Egaston;2156294[tex said:
& v && = v_0+at \qquad[/tex]
[tex]& s && = s_0 + v_0t + \tfrac12 at^2 \qquad[/tex]

These equations are usually used if the acceleration is constant. By Newton's second law F=ma, if the acceleration is constant, the force must be constant.

In the drag equation, the force depends on the speed, hence the force will change in time as the speed changes in time, hence the acceleration will not be constant in time.

Ah, of course. It makes sense when you say it like that. Since that is the case, what should I be looking at instead? Are there generalized forms of these equations for when acceleration is dependent on velocity or time?

Newton's second law: F=ma=mx'' (x'' is the second derivative of position, which is by definition the acceleration)

Then you have to specify what the forces are in the situation you are interested in, eg:
Gravity near the Earth's surface: F=mg
Simple drag: F=-kv=-kx' (x' is the first derivative of position, which is by definition the velocity)

Putting these together you get:
mg-kx'=mx'',
which is an equation containing derivatives of position x (ie. a differential equation in x).

Once you specify the initial position and velocity, you can solve the equation for position x as a function of time.

Ooops, the simple drag goes as the square of the velocity, not linearly.

Anyway, the idea is the same, and you can try at the first five equations in Long and Weiss's http://www.math.gatech.edu/~weiss/pub/v2II.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an equation of motion accounting for drag?

An equation of motion accounting for drag is a mathematical model used to describe the motion of an object under the influence of both external forces and air resistance, also known as drag. It takes into account the object's mass, velocity, acceleration, and drag coefficient to predict its motion over time.

2. How does drag affect an object's motion?

Drag is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and is caused by the resistance of air or other fluid to the object's movement. As an object moves faster, the drag force increases, causing a decrease in its acceleration and speed over time.

3. What factors influence the drag force on an object?

The drag force on an object is influenced by several factors, including the object's shape, size, and velocity, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid it is moving through. These factors determine the object's drag coefficient, which is a measure of how much drag it experiences.

4. How is the equation of motion with drag different from the equation of motion without drag?

The equation of motion with drag includes an additional term for the drag force, which changes the object's acceleration and velocity over time. In contrast, the equation of motion without drag assumes that there is no external resistance acting on the object, resulting in a constant acceleration and velocity.

5. How can the equation of motion with drag be used in practical applications?

The equation of motion with drag is commonly used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. It can be used to predict the trajectory of a projectile, the motion of a falling object, or the speed of a moving vehicle, taking into account the effects of air resistance. This information can be valuable in designing efficient and safe structures and vehicles, as well as in analyzing the performance of athletes in sports such as cycling and skiing.