Finding x and y Equations without t: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter devanlevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, to find an equation with x as a function of y or y as a function of x, the two given parametric equations can be solved for t and then replaced in the formula for x or y respectively. However, since the given equations are not one-to-one, there will not be a single function that will satisfy both equations.
devanlevin
given x(t)=30t-t[tex]^{3}[/tex]
y(t)=22t-4t[tex]^{2}[/tex]
what i need to do in this excercise is fine an equation with x as a function of y x(y) or the opposite y(x)---- 1 function without any variable t.
i have managed up till now by finding an expression for t and plugging that in instead of t in the 2nd equation, problem here is the extra t's, sqared and cubed, tried dividing both by t-not much help.. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
devanlevin said:
given x(t)=30t-t[tex]^{3}[/tex]
y(t)=22t-4t[tex]^{2}[/tex]
what i need to do in this excercise is fine an equation with x as a function of y x(y) or the opposite y(x)---- 1 function without any variable t.
i have managed up till now by finding an expression for t and plugging that in instead of t in the 2nd equation, problem here is the extra t's, sqared and cubed, tried dividing both by t-not much help.. any ideas?
There won't be one way to do that because the two functions are not one-to-one: x(0)= 0 and x([itex]\sqrt{30})= 0[/itex]. There is no single function that will give both of those.
Similarly, y(0)= y(11/2)= 0.

What you can do is, for example, is treat the second equation as a quadratic equation in t: 4t2- 22t+ y= 0 and use the quadratic formula to solve for t:
[tex]t= \frac{22\pm\sqrt{(22)^2- 4(4)y}}{8}= \frac{22\pm\sqrt{484- 16y}}{8}[/tex]
It's that "[itex]\pm[/itex]" that is the problem. Choose either "+" or "-" and put that value of t into the equation x= 30t- t3 to get x as a function of y.

Do you mean like composition y(t) [itex]\circ[/itex] x(t) = h(t), or y(x(t))=h(t).

For y(30t-t3)=22(30t-t3)-4(30t-t3)2

Can you continue out of here?

no, can't continue from there, i don't see how you got there either, from what i see you did was placed (30t-t^3) in place of "t", which doesn't seem right to me, i need an equation that will be y as a function of x, that i can plug in a given y/x and find the other.

Дьявол said:
Do you mean like composition y(t) [itex]\circ[/itex] x(t) = h(t), or y(x(t))=h(t).

For y(30t-t3)=22(30t-t3)-4(30t-t3)2

Can you continue out of here?

devanlevin said:
no, can't continue from there, i don't see how you got there either, from what i see you did was placed (30t-t^3) in place of "t", which doesn't seem right to me, i need an equation that will be y as a function of x, that i can plug in a given y/x and find the other.
No, that's not what you want to do: you want to convert parametric equations to a Cartesian equation, not find a composition. The simplest thing to do is to solve for t as a function of y, as I showed and then replace t by that expression in the formula for x.

so what would i do to solve that, can't see what youre doing from here

1. What are the basic steps for finding x and y equations without t?

The basic steps for finding x and y equations without t are:
1. Identify the given information and variables
2. Use algebraic manipulation to isolate x and y variables
3. Substitute the given values into the equations
4. Simplify and solve for x and y
5. Check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equations.

2. Can I use any algebraic method to find x and y equations without t?

Yes, there are various algebraic methods that can be used to find x and y equations without t, such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. The best method to use will depend on the given information and variables.

3. How can I check if my x and y equations without t are correct?

You can check the correctness of your x and y equations without t by substituting the values of x and y into the original equations. If the equations hold true, then your solutions are correct. You can also use a graphing calculator to visually confirm the solutions.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding x and y equations without t?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding x and y equations without t are:
- Forgetting to substitute the given values into the equations
- Making errors in algebraic manipulation
- Using the wrong method for solving the equations
- Not checking the solutions for correctness
- Not considering the restrictions on the domain and range of the equations.

5. Can I solve x and y equations without t for any type of problem?

Yes, you can solve x and y equations without t for a wide range of problems in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. These equations are useful in representing relationships between variables and can be solved to find specific values or to analyze the behavior of a system.