Equilibrium and displacement of a Particle

In summary, the problem involves determining the displacement of a cord from the wall when a force is applied, given the stiffness and unstretched length of two springs attached to the cord. The solution involves finding the sum of the horizontal components of the tensile force from the springs and solving for d using the given values. The answer is d = 0.997 m.
rico22

Homework Statement

The springs AB and BC have stiffness k and an unstretched length of l. Determine the
displacement d of the cord from the wall when a force F is applied to the cord. See Picture attached.

Given:
l = 3 m
k = 600 N/m
F = 200 N

Homework Equations

Fspring= ks

s= l - l0

ƩF=0

The Attempt at a Solution

The force of the spring is 600(s) and I know that s = length of spring stretched - length unstretched. So for the sum of forces in the x direction I get 2(600)(s)[d/√(d2+1.52)] = 200... I divide both sides by 2 and get (600)(s)[d/√(d2+1.52)] = 100...

from here I know that I can get s from equation above thus it becomes 600[√(d2+1.52) - 1.5][d/√(d2+1.52)] = 100... but I don't know what else to do from here... any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• springs.PNG
    springs.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 959
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Do you know what the answer is supposed to be? When I work it out, I get d=0.16667m.

I think you are addressing the forces in the x direction incorrectly. If you look at the force exerted on the spring, you can think about it as stretching the spring a distance d in the x direction while also stretching the spring l/2 in the y direction.

When you look at it like this, then the force due to one spring in the x direction is Fs=(k)(d). And since you have two springs the forces in the x direction should look like this:

200=2(k)(d)

Solve for d.

I don't know why you're using the term [d/√(d2+1.52)]

(someone please correct me if I'm way off on this)

Last edited:
jldibble is right

rico22 said:
The force of the spring is 600(s)
I think you got your idea wrong when you said the force of the spring is 600.

the force of the spring is k(s)... k=600 is given, and I know s = l - l0; therefore Fspring=600(l-l0).

l0 is also given and equals 1.5m so the equation becomes 600(l - 1.5). Looking at the triangle the two springs create with the wall we can deduce that l (length of the stretched spring) is going to be equal to √(d2+1.52) if we split it into 2 right triangles and from the Pythagorean theorem.

So putting all this together Fspring=600[√(d2+1.52) - 1.5].

Now if we were to break it down into its x and y components:
ƩFx=0: Fspring[d/√(d2+1.52) + Fspring[d/√(d2+1.52) - 200 = 0

the √(d2+1.52) would be the equivalent of cosθ.

ƩFy=0: Fspring[1.5/√(d2+1.52) - Fspring[1.5/√(d2+1.52).

My issue is when I solve for d... I guess I might have to do trial and error.

sorry it should be s=*lstretched-l0...

jldibble said:
Do you know what the answer is supposed to be? When I work it out, I get d=0.16667m.

QUOTE]

the correct answer is d= 0.997

right I know how to set up the problem... but once I try to solve for d the algebra just throws me off.

rico22 said:
the force of the spring is k(s)... k=600 is given, and I know s = l - l0; therefore Fspring=600(l-l0).

l0 is also given and equals 1.5m so the equation becomes 600(l - 1.5).
The original post said that the unstretched length of a spring is l (lower case L). But l is given as 3m. Why are you using l/2 for the unstretched length?

gneill said:
The original post said that the unstretched length of a spring is l (lower case L). But l is given as 3m. Why are you using l/2 for the unstretched length?
I think it's a typo (or just very poorly worded) since the attached drawing, which seems to have been copied directly from the text, shows their combined unstretched length as l and it's consistent with the solution given.

rico22 said:
right I know how to set up the problem... but once I try to solve for d the algebra just throws me off.
I doubt you're supposed to solve it analytically. Approximate the solution by making an inital guess and iterate.

milesyoung said:
I think it's a typo (or just very poorly worded) since the attached drawing, which seems to have been copied directly from the text, shows their combined unstretched length as l and it's consistent with the solution given.
I'd have to side with it being a typo, since the diagram does not actually imply that the unstretched length is l/2 (although it is tempting to believe so for convenience sake!). The initial configuration could have the unstretched springs form an equilateral triangle with the wall.

gneill said:
I'd have to side with it being a typo, since the diagram does not actually imply that the unstretched length is l/2 (although it is tempting to believe so for convenience sake!). The initial configuration could have the unstretched springs form an equilateral triangle with the wall.

Yes, you're right. I assumed too much based on the appearance of the sketch.

yeah sorry i worded the problem wrong...still, thank you for all the replies...ill do a better job next time.

original length of each spring = l0/2

extended length of each spring = [itex]\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}[/itex]

tensile force in each spring = [itex]k(\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}-(l_0/2))[/itex]

horizontal component of tensile force in each spring = [itex]k(\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}-(l_0/2))\frac{d}{\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}}=kd(1-\frac{(l_0/2)}{\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}})[/itex]

sum of horizontal components of tensile force from springs = [itex]2kd(1-\frac{(l_0/2)}{\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}})[/itex]

[itex]F=2kd(1-\frac{(l_0/2)}{\sqrt{d^2+(l_0/2)^2}})=2kd(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+(\frac{2d}{l_0})^2}} )[/itex]

The solution to this equation for d is 0.997 m.

Last edited:

1. What is equilibrium of a particle?

Equilibrium of a particle refers to the state where the net force acting on the particle is zero, resulting in no acceleration.

2. How is equilibrium of a particle determined?

Equilibrium of a particle is determined by analyzing the forces acting on the particle, including magnitude, direction, and location.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when a particle is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium occurs when a particle is moving at a constant velocity.

4. How does displacement affect equilibrium of a particle?

Displacement refers to the change in position of a particle. In order for a particle to remain in equilibrium, its displacement must not result in a change in the net force acting on it.

5. Can a particle be in equilibrium if it is experiencing multiple forces?

Yes, a particle can be in equilibrium even if it is experiencing multiple forces. However, the forces must be balanced and result in a net force of zero for the particle to remain in equilibrium.