Equilibrium and impulsive forces (crane and demolition ball problem)

In summary, the homework statement asks for the height a ball falls from, and the resultant force when it falls. I tried to find the acceleration using F= ma, but I don't think it works that way. I think the height can be calculated by angle and length, but possibly that is not what is asked for.
rotiff

Homework Statement

RbLLP.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the acceleration using F= ma

Resultant force = Tension - mg
so a = (10295.2-8730)/890 = 1.758 m/s^2 but I don't think it works that way...

please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The height which from the ball falls, and its mass, gives a potential energy to the ball. This results in an identical kinetic energy at 0-level. The angle and length of rope should give the height. Then impulse can be calculated.

I don't think so, because at the vertical position the total energy would equal kinetic energy + some potential energy therefore mgh = 0.5 mv^2 + mgh

And both velocity & height are missing from the right side of the equation.

I think the height can be calculated by angle and length, but possibly that is not what is asked for. My reply might be uninformative. Tension is not a topic of mine. Nor is geometry, really.

Can you please attempt it? I have solved other parts of this question and I will see if your calculated height fits in with the rest.

At vertical position, the ball can fall no further in this system: equals no potential energy

I tried it and the final velocity came up as 17 m/s, I know this is wrong because in the next part it says SHOW that the final velocity just before impact = 6.7 m/s

This is ridiculous... I'm sure the answer should be fairly easy.

The 32deg. form the top of a triangle. The two other angles are 180-32=148 deg. combined, or 74 deg. each. Find length of base of triangle. Probably some cosinus or sinus calculating. I don't know. Then there's another small triangle below, whith 90 and 90-74=16 deg. angles. Base from other triangle is one side, short side of this small triangle is your heigth, and basis for potential/kinetic energy

Thank you but I still think there is some other solution that jiggles with Newton's laws. If someone figures it please post.

has anyone got any idea, please? At this point I tried everything and I just can't get my answer to fit both a final velocity of 6.7 m/s and a reasonable height

I figured this and thought I'd post the solution:

Height at elevated position = 15 cos 32 = 12.72m

Therefore h = 15-12.72 = 2.28m

Related to Equilibrium and impulsive forces (crane and demolition ball problem)

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance or stability in a system where the forces acting on the system are equal and opposite, resulting in a net force of zero.

2. How do you calculate the equilibrium of a system?

To calculate the equilibrium of a system, you must first identify all the forces acting on the system and their directions. Then, use the equations of motion (Newton's laws) to find the net force and determine if it is zero. If the net force is not zero, the system is not in equilibrium.

3. What is an impulsive force?

An impulsive force is a force that acts on a system for a very short period of time, resulting in a sudden change in the system's velocity. It is often represented by a delta function in mathematical equations.

4. How does a crane use equilibrium and impulsive forces?

In a crane, equilibrium is maintained by the counterweights and the tension in the cables, which balance out the weight of the load being lifted. Impulsive forces are used to initiate movement, such as when the crane operator starts the motor to lift the load.

5. How does the demolition ball problem demonstrate equilibrium and impulsive forces?

In the demolition ball problem, the crane and the ball are in equilibrium when the ball is stationary and the tension in the cable is equal to the weight of the ball. When the crane operator releases the ball, an impulsive force is created as the ball falls, resulting in a sudden change in velocity. The equilibrium is then maintained again once the ball reaches the ground and comes to a stop.