Equilibrium constant (K) Question problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equilibrium constant (K) for Reaction 1, which involves the reaction of N2, H2, and NH3 gases. The equilibrium concentrations of these gases at 25 degrees Celsius are given, and the equation for K is calculated using these values. The calculated value of K is 5.6 x 10^8, which may seem high but is consistent with the given data.
Danny523
Finding the Equilibrium Constant (K)I have been having a bit of trouble with this question, if anyone could guide me on where I am going wrong it would be greatly appreciated!
"Reaction 1: N2 + 3H2 = 2NH3

Write down an expression for the equilibrium constant K, for reaction 1.
At 25 degrees Celsius the equilibrium concentrations of N2, H2 and NH3 gases are:

N2: 1.3 x 10^-3 mol dm^-3
H2: 1.1 x 10^-2 mol dm^-3
NH3: 9.8 x 10^-1 mol dm^-3

Use these values to calculate the value of K at this temperature"So then what I did was substitute these values into this equation:

K = (NH3)^2 / ((N2) x (H2)^3)

To give this:

K = (9.8 x 10^-1)^2 / ((1.3 x 10^-3) x (1.1 x 10^-2)^3)

That then gave me:

K = 5.6 x 10^8

Im pretty sure that is not right, I am thinking it should be a lot lot smaller...

If you could help me out I would appreciate it a lot!

Thanks

Danny

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Agreed that value looks high, but that's what you get from the data given.

--

1. What is the equilibrium constant (K)?

The equilibrium constant (K) is a measure of the extent to which a chemical reaction proceeds towards equilibrium. It is the ratio of the concentrations of the products to the concentrations of the reactants at equilibrium.

2. How is the equilibrium constant (K) calculated?

The equilibrium constant (K) is calculated by taking the ratio of the concentrations of the products to the concentrations of the reactants, each raised to the power of their respective stoichiometric coefficients in the balanced chemical equation. The concentrations used must be at equilibrium.

3. What factors can affect the value of the equilibrium constant (K)?

The value of the equilibrium constant (K) is affected by temperature, pressure, and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. Changes in any of these factors can cause the equilibrium to shift and thus change the value of K.

4. How does the value of the equilibrium constant (K) relate to the direction of a chemical reaction?

If the value of the equilibrium constant (K) is greater than 1, the reaction favors the formation of products at equilibrium. If the value is less than 1, the reaction favors the formation of reactants. A value of 1 indicates that the reaction is at equilibrium, with equal amounts of products and reactants.

5. Can the equilibrium constant (K) be changed?

The value of the equilibrium constant (K) is specific to a particular reaction at a specific temperature and pressure. It cannot be changed, but it can be manipulated by changing the conditions of the system, such as temperature or concentration of reactants and products. However, the actual value of K will remain the same for that specific reaction.