1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium from the ceiling. Solve using cosines

1. Jan 22, 2010 #1
    thanks

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where is the center of the rod located, relative to point B?

4. Jan 22, 2010 #3
    I'm sorry!

5. Jan 22, 2010 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I realize that the rod is opposite to angle B. The question was meant to give you a clue about the configuration. So more specifically, what do we know about where the center-of-mass of the hanging rod is located, relative to the point B from which the rod and strings are hung?

6. Jan 22, 2010 #5
    I think the mg of the rod is located directly underneath point B where it is hung from the ceiling

7. Jan 22, 2010 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, exactly. You can use that information to figure out the angle the rod makes with the horizontal.

8. Jan 22, 2010 #7
    Ok. so knowing that does angle B "split" into two halves. I am still not sure where this is taking me.!!

9. Jan 22, 2010 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw a vertical line from B to the rod center. The triangle is split into two smaller ones. Solve either of the smaller triangles.

Good luck!

10. Jan 22, 2010 #9
    Ok thanks! I think i still need a little more guidance on this though. What will this solve? How will this help find theta?

11. Jan 23, 2010 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The key is to find the triangle's angle located at the center of the rod. If you haven't already, draw a figure including the vertical line between B and the rod center.

12. Jan 23, 2010 #11
    Ok. thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook