Equilibrium from the ceiling. Solve using cosines

  • Thread starter Thread starter tigerwoods99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Equilibrium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
tigerwoods99
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I realize that the rod is opposite to angle B. The question was meant to give you a clue about the configuration. So more specifically, what do we know about where the center-of-mass of the hanging rod is located, relative to the point B from which the rod and strings are hung?
 
I think the mg of the rod is located directly underneath point B where it is hung from the ceiling
 
Ok. so knowing that does angle B "split" into two halves. I am still not sure where this is taking me.!
 
Draw a vertical line from B to the rod center. The triangle is split into two smaller ones. Solve either of the smaller triangles.

Good luck!
 
Ok thanks! I think i still need a little more guidance on this though. What will this solve? How will this help find theta?
 
The key is to find the triangle's angle located at the center of the rod. If you haven't already, draw a figure including the vertical line between B and the rod center.