Is This a Valid Equivalence Relation on ℚ?

In summary, the proof of reflexivity in relation x~y fails because x-x = 0 is not an integer, and the reflexive rule does not always hold.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

For each of the relations defined on ℚ, either prove that it is an equivalence relation or show which properties it fails.

x ~ y whenever xy ∈ Z

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my problem: I am starting off the proof with the first condition of reflexivity.
Now, do I let x ∈ ℚ ? I would think so, if that is the case, then x can be 2/3.
So xx is thus 4/9 which does not exist in the integers.
Thus, the proof would fail.

But I think I am missing something here. Did I do this right or am I making a fatal error by suggesting that x can be any ℚ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why you doubt what you've done.

Likes RJLiberator
I search for many proofs of equivalence relations online and just feel like something might be off here.

Let me give you an example.

The first part of this question, part a is
a) x~y whenever x-y∈ℤ
I proved the reflective part by showing x-x = 0 always.
II symetric part by stating x-y must be an integer so y-x = -(x-y) thus that must be an integer.
III transitive, by showing that (x-y) + (y-z) = x-z and since the first two are integers, this must be an integer also.

I guess, in this part I did not need to suggest a rational number anywhere. Hm...

Okay, back to the original question.

We say x~y whenever x*y ∈ℤ
An example would be x = 1/9 and y = 9/1 since x*y = 9 and that is an integer.

So if we do 1. reflexive, does it have to be an x such that x*x is an integer by the rule? Or can I pick any x value I want out of the rational numbers. This is my problem.
We say x~y whenever xy ∈ℤ.
Must we also say that x~x whenever xx ∈ℤ ?

The reflexive rule must apply for all ##x## (not just for some ##x##). So, you only need to find one counterexample, as you did, to show that the rule does not, in general, hold.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent. Thank you for your help.

What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a relation between two elements that satisfies three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. This means that the relation must be reflexive, meaning that every element is related to itself; symmetric, meaning that if element A is related to element B, then element B is also related to element A; and transitive, meaning that if element A is related to element B and element B is related to element C, then element A is related to element C.

What is the difference between an equivalence relation and an equality relation?

An equivalence relation is a type of relation that compares two elements and determines if they are related in some way, while an equality relation is a type of relation that compares two elements and determines if they are exactly the same. In other words, an equivalence relation is a broader concept that includes equality as a special case.

Can an equivalence relation be reflexive but not symmetric?

No, an equivalence relation must satisfy all three properties (reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity) in order to be considered an equivalence relation. If it is only reflexive but not symmetric, then it is not considered an equivalence relation.

Are there real-life examples of equivalence relations?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of equivalence relations. For example, the relation "has the same height as" is an equivalence relation, as it is reflexive (every person has the same height as themselves), symmetric (if person A has the same height as person B, then person B also has the same height as person A), and transitive (if person A has the same height as person B and person B has the same height as person C, then person A also has the same height as person C).

How are equivalence relations used in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are used in mathematics to classify and group elements based on their properties. For example, in set theory, elements can be grouped into equivalence classes based on a specific relation, such as "has the same number of elements as." In abstract algebra, equivalence relations are used to define important structures such as groups, rings, and fields. They are also used in mathematical proofs and constructions to simplify and organize complex ideas.