1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence Relations Simple Question

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For each of the relations defined on ℚ, either prove that it is an equivalence relation or show which properties it fails.

x ~ y whenever xy ∈ Z

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's my problem: I am starting off the proof with the first condition of reflexivity.
    Now, do I let x ∈ ℚ ? I would think so, if that is the case, then x can be 2/3.
    So xx is thus 4/9 which does not exist in the integers.
    Thus, the proof would fail.

But I think I am missing something here.

Did I do this right or am I making a fatal error by suggesting that x can be any ℚ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure why you doubt what you've done.

4. Jan 30, 2016 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

I search for many proofs of equivalence relations online and just feel like something might be off here.

Let me give you an example.

The first part of this question, part a is
    a) x~y whenever x-y∈ℤ
    I proved the reflective part by showing x-x = 0 always.
    II symetric part by stating x-y must be an integer so y-x = -(x-y) thus that must be an integer.
    III transitive, by showing that (x-y) + (y-z) = x-z and since the first two are integers, this must be an integer also.

I guess, in this part I did not need to suggest a rational number anywhere. Hm...

Okay, back to the original question.

We say x~y whenever x*y ∈ℤ
    An example would be x = 1/9 and y = 9/1 since x*y = 9 and that is an integer.

So if we do 1. reflexive, does it have to be an x such that x*x is an integer by the rule? Or can I pick any x value I want out of the rational numbers. This is my problem.
    We say x~y whenever xy ∈ℤ.
    Must we also say that x~x whenever xx ∈ℤ ?

5. Jan 30, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The reflexive rule must apply for all ##x## (not just for some ##x##). So, you only need to find one counterexample, as you did, to show that the rule does not, in general, hold.

6. Jan 30, 2016 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Excellent. Thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted