Equivalent capaticnace, charge, voltage

In summary, the equivalent capacitance of the circuit is 131/12. To determine the charge and potential difference across each capacitor, you can use the equations Q=VC and V=V1+V2+V3 for parallel capacitors, and Q1=Q2=Q3 and (1/Ceq)=(1/C1)+(1/C2)+(1/C3) for series capacitors. By applying these equations to the circuit, you can determine the charge and potential difference for each capacitor.
JSmith2009

Homework Statement

Find the equivalent capacitance of the circuit below. Also determine the charge of each capacitor and the potential difference across each capacitor.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2616/physicss.jpg

Homework Equations

Q=VC

Parallel Ceq = C1+C2+C3
V1=V2=V3
Q=Q1+Q2+Q3

Series Ceq = (1/Ceq)=(1/C1)+(1/C2)+(1/C3)
Q1=Q2=Q3
V=V1+V2+V3

The Attempt at a Solution

I sort of figured out the equivalent capacitance. Adding the 3 in parallel as well as the two in series on the right side, you get 13 across the top and (35/12) on the right side. Then adding the 8 and (35/12) in parallel, you get (131/12). How do I figure out capacitance from there?

I *should* be able to figure out charge/voltage from there and if not, will come back.

Thanks much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JSmith2009 said:
How do I figure out capacitance from there?

All I can say is don't stop there. Now all you have left is the 13 capacitor and the 131/12 capacitor in series. Clearly you know what to do.

Well, I wasn't sure if it was in series or not. I don't know why, but for some reason my mind kept telling me that it wasn't a series connector.

I guess I just needed some reassurance. Thanks :)

What is equivalent capacitance and how is it calculated?

Equivalent capacitance refers to the total capacitance of a circuit or system made up of multiple capacitors. It is calculated by adding the individual capacitances of each capacitor in series or by combining them using the parallel capacitance formula.

What is charge and how is it related to capacitance?

Charge is the amount of electric energy stored in a capacitor. It is directly proportional to the capacitance, so as the capacitance increases, so does the amount of charge that can be stored.

How does voltage affect capacitance?

Voltage is directly related to capacitance, as it is the measure of the potential difference between two points in a circuit. As the voltage increases, the capacitance also increases, as more charge can be stored in the capacitor.

What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

Capacitance is measured in farads (F), which is the amount of charge that can be stored per unit of voltage. It is a very large unit, so most capacitors are measured in microfarads (μF) or picofarads (pF).

How can the equivalent capacitance of a parallel circuit be simplified?

In a parallel circuit, the equivalent capacitance can be simplified by adding the individual capacitances together. This means that the total capacitance will be greater than the capacitance of each individual capacitor, but the total charge stored will also be greater.