Equivalent characterization of uniform convergence

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of uniform convergence of functions on a non-empty set and its proof. The proof involves the condition of sup(s)<=K, where S is a set of real numbers and K is a constant. This is a standard result and helps in understanding the concept.
twoflower
Hi all,

I'm learning some calculus theory and I found one point I don't fully understand:

[tex]
\mbox{Let M} \subset \mathbb{R} \mbox{ be non-empty set and let } f, f_{n}, n \in \mathbb{N} \mbox{ be functions defined on M. Then the following is true:}
[/tex]

[tex]
f_n \rightrightarrows f \mbox{ on M} \Leftrightarrow \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sup \left\{\left|f_{n}(x) - f(x)\right|; x \in M \right\} = 0
[/tex]

Proof:

[tex]
f_{n} \rightrightarrows f \mbox{ on M }
[/tex]

[tex]
\Leftrightarrow\ \forall \epsilon > 0\ \exists n_{0} \in \mathbb{N}\ \forall n \geq n_{0} \forall x \in M\ : |f_{n}(x) - f(x)| < \epsilon
[/tex]

[tex]
\Leftrightarrow \forall \epsilon > 0\ \exists n_{0} \in \mathbb{N}\ \forall n \geq n_{0} : \sup_{x \in M} \left\{ | f_{n}(x) - f(x) | \leq \epsilon \right\}
[/tex]

[tex]
\Leftrightarrow \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( \sup_{x \in M} |f_{n}(x) - f(x)| \right) = 0
[/tex]

I don't get why in the last but one condition in the proof there is [itex]\leq \epsilon[/tex] instead of [itex]< \epsilon[/tex].

Could you please tell me the reason?

Thank you very much

Standa.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This case it is the standard result that if S is a set of real number and, for all s in S, s<K, then sup(s)<=K. E.g. take S =(0,1), every s in S is strictly less than 1, but the sup is 1.

Thank you matt! I see it now.

1. What is equivalent characterization of uniform convergence?

Equivalent characterization of uniform convergence is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence of functions. It refers to the idea that a sequence of functions is uniformly convergent if and only if the sequence of their suprema converges to 0.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

Uniform convergence is different from pointwise convergence in that it describes the behavior of a sequence of functions as a whole, whereas pointwise convergence only considers the convergence of individual points. In uniform convergence, the rate of convergence is the same at every point, whereas in pointwise convergence, the rate of convergence can vary at different points.

3. What is the significance of equivalent characterization of uniform convergence?

The equivalent characterization of uniform convergence is significant because it provides a way to test for uniform convergence using a simpler and more intuitive concept. It also allows for the comparison of different sequences of functions and helps to better understand the behavior of these sequences.

4. How is uniform convergence related to continuity?

In general, a function that is uniformly convergent is also continuous. This means that if a sequence of functions converges uniformly, the limit function will also be continuous. However, the converse is not always true - a continuous function may not necessarily converge uniformly.

5. Can you give an example of a sequence of functions that is uniformly convergent?

Yes, a classic example of a sequence of functions that is uniformly convergent is the sequence of functions f_n(x) = x^n on the interval [0,1]. This sequence converges uniformly to the function f(x) = 0 on the same interval, as the suprema of the functions f_n(x) decreases to 0 as n increases.