Equivalent electrical resistance

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with calculating the equivalent resistance for a simple circuit involving direct current. They are having trouble finding their notes and are asking for assistance. The speaker has highlighted a specific part of the circuit they are interested in finding the resistance for and is open to the possibility of parallel resistors in that section. They are also aware that the placement and angles of components do not affect the circuit, but they are struggling to determine how the resistors are arranged. They are advised to slide the junctions around on the wires to reduce the number of junctions in the highlighted part.
TheDoctor46
Hello guys!

It's been a while since I last had to deal with direct current and I'm having a hard time solving the equivalent resistance for a simple circuit.

I know this is rather simple, but I can't find my notes, so, could you please help me?

The photo of the circuit is attached.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Resistance.jpg
    Resistance.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am able to calculate the parallel resistors, but I can't remember how to proceed for the last group.

Thanks!

Which resistors did you find that are in parallel?

I highlighted the part that I am interested in finding.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Resistance highlight.jpg
    Resistance highlight.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 331
Are there opportunities for parallelism there? How can you tell if resistors are in parallel?

Hint: The placement and angles at which components are drawn on a diagram are irrelevant; it's the topology that counts (what's connected to what). Connections can be bent, twisted, and moved anywhere along a given wire without changing the circuit.

Yes, I know that, but I am not able to calculate the equivalent resistance of the highlighted part. I know that the angles in the diagram don't matter, but I can't tell how the resistors are arranged.

Since only the topology matters, you can slide the junctions around on the wires as long as you don't slide past any components. Can you see how to do this in a way that reduces the number of junctions in the highlit part?

What is equivalent electrical resistance?

Equivalent electrical resistance is a measure of the overall opposition to the flow of electricity in a circuit. It represents the total resistance of all components in the circuit combined.

How is equivalent electrical resistance calculated?

Equivalent electrical resistance can be calculated by adding the individual resistances of all components in a series circuit, or by using Ohm's law (R = V/I) for parallel circuits.

What is the relationship between equivalent electrical resistance and current?

According to Ohm's law, there is a direct relationship between equivalent electrical resistance and current. As resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa.

What factors affect the value of equivalent electrical resistance?

The value of equivalent electrical resistance is affected by the number and type of components in a circuit, as well as the material and dimensions of the conductors used.

Why is understanding equivalent electrical resistance important in circuit design?

Equivalent electrical resistance is an important concept in circuit design because it allows engineers to predict and control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It also helps determine the power dissipation and efficiency of the circuit.