1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Equivalent metric functions

1. Apr 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]X = \textbf{b}[/tex] denote the set of all bounded real-valued
    sequences. Define the two metrics:
    [tex]
    \begin{align*}
    d_{\infty}(x,y) := \sup_{n \in \mathbb{N}} |x_n - y_n| \text{,
    and } d_e(x,y) := \sum^\infty_{n=1} \frac{1}{2^n} \frac{|x_n -
    y_n|}{1 + |x_n - y_n|}
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]
    for [tex]x = (x_1,x_2,\ldots), y = (y_1,y_2,\ldots) \in \textbf{b} = X[/tex].

Prove that these metrics are not equivalent.

2. Relevant equations

For a space [tex] X \ne \varnothing [/tex], two distance functions [tex]d_1,d_2[/tex] are equivalent if for all sequences [tex]\{x_k \} \subset X[/tex] [tex]\lim_{k \to \infty} d_1(x_k,x) = 0[/tex] if and only if [tex]\lim_{k \to \infty} d_2(x_k,x) = 0[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess the proof is to show that for sequence [tex]\boldsymbol{x}^{(k)}[/tex], [tex]\lim_{k \to \infty} d_{e}(x^{(k)}, x) \ne 0[/tex] when [tex]\lim_{k \to \infty} d_{\infty}(x^{(k)}, x) = 0[/tex]. But how can I prove this? What area of math do I need?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about {xn} where xn(k) = δnk, the Kronecker delta.

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3
    Thank you for the suggestion. I can see this is a very smart counter example. Do you know with this kind of questions if we are supposed to prove by contradiction or a more generic way?

5. Apr 9, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You yourself described above what you need to do. Try it with the sequence I suggested.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook