Equivalent Sums Homework: Solve (-6/π) ∑n Even Problem

In summary: So the change of variable allows us to sum over all integers but only pick out the even ones in the second sum.In summary, the change of variable ##n = 2m## allows the first sum to be rewritten as the second sum, where the index ##m## goes through all the natural numbers but only the even integers are considered. This is because ##2m## gives all the even integers while still going through all the natural numbers.
Calu

Homework Statement

I have that, for n ∈ ℕ, (-6/π) ∑n even (cos(nx))/(n2-9) is equivalent to (-6/π) ∑n=1 (cos(2nx))/(4n2-9). I don't understand how the two sums are equivalent to each other.

Homework Equations

I honestly have no idea what may be relevant, other than what is above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm making a guess that the factor of 2 within the cosine function in the second sum allows the sum to be the same as summing over the even natural numbers. However I'm not sure that's correct, and I'm still unsure where the factor of 4 comes from in front of the n2 in the denominator, other than it is 22.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Calu said:

Homework Statement

I have that, for n ∈ ℕ, (-6/π) ∑n even (cos(nx))/(n2-9) is equivalent to (-6/π) ∑n=1 (cos(2nx))/(4n2-9). I don't understand how the two sums are equivalent to each other.

Homework Equations

I honestly have no idea what may be relevant, other than what is above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm making a guess that the factor of 2 within the cosine function in the second sum allows the sum to be the same as summing over the even natural numbers. However I'm not sure that's correct, and I'm still unsure where the factor of 4 comes from in front of the n2 in the denominator, other than it is 22.

Make the change of variable ##n = 2m## in the first sum and see what you get.

LCKurtz said:
Make the change of variable ##n = 2m## in the first sum and see what you get.

Right I see, this would give me what I have in the second sum, obviously with m substituted for n. So can this change of variable be used as I'm summing over twice as many integers?

Calu said:
Right I see, this would give me what I have in the second sum, obviously with m substituted for n. So can this change of variable be used as I'm summing over twice as many integers?

All the integers is not "twice as many integers". They are both infinite sets. But you just need to note that all even integers are given by ##2m## as ##m = 1,2,3...##. The index goes through all the natural numbers but ##2m## gives all the evens.

LCKurtz said:
All the integers is not "twice as many integers". They are both infinite sets. But you just need to note that all even integers are given by ##2m## as ##m = 1,2,3...##. The index goes through all the natural numbers but ##2m## gives all the evens.

I see now, thanks for your help.

Related to Equivalent Sums Homework: Solve (-6/π) ∑n Even Problem

1. What is the meaning of "Equivalent Sums" in this homework problem?

The term "Equivalent Sums" refers to the process of finding two different mathematical expressions that have the same numerical value. In this case, we are looking for two different ways to express the sum of even numbers from 1 to n, which will be equal to -6 divided by pi.

2. How do I solve this problem?

To solve this problem, you will need to use mathematical principles and equations to manipulate the given information. This may involve breaking down the sum into smaller parts, using algebraic operations, or applying known formulas or identities.

3. What is the significance of the negative sign in front of 6/π?

The negative sign indicates that the sum of even numbers from 1 to n has a negative value. This means that the sum of these numbers will decrease as n increases, rather than increase as it typically would. This may seem counterintuitive, but it can be explained through mathematical reasoning.

4. How can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

One way to check your answer is to plug in different values for n and see if your equation holds true. You can also use a calculator to evaluate the sum for a specific value of n and compare it to the value of -6/π. Additionally, checking your work step by step and making sure you have used the correct mathematical operations and formulas can help ensure the accuracy of your answer.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving this type of problem?

One helpful tip for solving this type of problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. For example, you can start by finding the sum of even numbers from 1 to 2, then from 1 to 4, and so on. This can help you identify patterns and relationships that will be useful in finding the equivalent sums for larger values of n. Additionally, having a good understanding of algebraic principles and identities can make solving this problem easier.