Equivalnce relation proof

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if ~ is an equivalence relation on a set s and [a] denotes the equivalence class of a in s under ~, then a ~ b if and only if [a] = [b]. The conversation also mentions seeking advice on how to approach the problem and clarifying the definition of an equivalence relation. The summary also highlights the importance of understanding the concept of an equivalence relation in order to solve the problem.
Tokenfreak
I am trying to prove this as I am practicing for a test but I am pretty much clueless on this problem:

Prove that if ~ is an equivalence relation on a set s and [a] denotes the equivalence class of a in s under ~, then a ~ b if and only if [a] = .

If anyone can give me some points on how to approach or start this problem it would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tokenfreak said:
I am trying to prove this as I am practicing for a test but I am pretty much clueless on this problem:

Prove that if ~ is an equivalence relation on a set s and [a] denotes the equivalence class of a in s under ~, then a ~ b if and only if [a] = .

If anyone can give me some points on how to approach or start this problem it would be great. Thanks.

It falls directly out of the definition of equivalence relation, so it's tricky to think of a hint. But what happens if [a] [itex]\neq[/itex] ? Then there must either be an element in ____ that's not in ______ or vice versa. Then what?

So would it be safe to assume that an equivalence relation ~ on a set s is a relation satisfying a,b in s. If [a] != , then there must be an element in a that's not in b or vice versa. Therefore, this contradicts that [a] = .Is this close? I am pretty much clueless on this proof.

Tokenfreak said:
So would it be safe to assume that an equivalence relation ~ on a set s is a relation satisfying a,b in s.

No. You need to go back to your book and read what an equivalence relation is.

Aren't a and b assumed to be elements of s? So a,b in s is true of all a and b in s. Has nothing to do with equivalence relations.

Tokenfreak said:
If [a] != , then there must be an element in a that's not in b or vice versa. Therefore, this contradicts that [a] = .

Well yes, if you assume [a] != then that contradicts [a] = . Isn't that always the case no matter what [a] and are?

I think you need to read your text and/or class notes to understand what an equivalence relation is.

Last edited:

First, let's review the definition of an equivalence relation. An equivalence relation is a relation on a set that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. This means that for any elements a, b, and c in the set, the following properties hold:

1. Reflexivity: a ~ a (every element is related to itself)
2. Symmetry: if a ~ b, then b ~ a (the relation is bidirectional)
3. Transitivity: if a ~ b and b ~ c, then a ~ c (the relation is transitive)

Now, to prove the statement given, we need to show that if a ~ b, then [a] = , and vice versa.

Assuming a ~ b, we know that this relation satisfies the properties of an equivalence relation. This means that [a] and are both equivalence classes under the relation ~. By definition, an equivalence class is a set of elements that are related to each other by the given relation. In this case, [a] and contain all the elements that are related to a and b, respectively.

If a ~ b, then we know that a and b are related, and therefore, they must be in the same equivalence class. This means that [a] = , since both sets contain the same elements.

Conversely, if [a] = , then we know that both sets contain the same elements. This implies that a and b are related under the relation ~, since they are both in the same equivalence class. Therefore, a ~ b.

In conclusion, we have shown that if a ~ b, then [a] = , and vice versa. This proves the statement given in the problem.

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between two elements that have the same properties or characteristics. It is a relationship that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive.

2. How do you prove equivalence relation?

To prove equivalence relation, you must show that the relationship is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. This can be done by showing that the elements are related to themselves (reflexive), that if one element is related to another, then the other is also related to the first (symmetric), and that if two elements are related to each other and one is related to a third element, then the third element is also related to the first two (transitive).

3. What are some examples of equivalence relation?

Some examples of equivalence relation include:

• Equality: For any two numbers, a = b if and only if b = a.
  • Modulo: For any two integers, a is congruent to b modulo n if and only if b is congruent to a modulo n.
  • Parallelism: For any two lines, if they are parallel, they have the same slope.

4. How is equivalence relation different from other types of relations?

Equivalence relation is different from other types of relations because it has specific properties that must be satisfied in order to be considered an equivalence relation. These properties (reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity) are not required for other types of relations, such as partial order or strict partial order.

5. What are some applications of equivalence relation?

Equivalence relation has various applications in mathematics, computer science, and other fields. Some examples include:

• Partitioning sets: Equivalence relation can be used to partition a set into subsets that share certain properties.
  • Grouping data: In computer science, equivalence relation can be used to group data that is considered equivalent, such as in data mining or clustering algorithms.
  • Proving theorems: Equivalence relation is often used in mathematical proofs to show that two elements are equivalent or have the same properties.