Erecting eyepiece diagonal: opinions?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary: As for quality, the only thing I know about them seems to be that they are more technically demanding than other types of prisms, especially the roof edge. Which makes sense, as any light that hits the peak of that roof and isn't reflected will result in a loss of light and alteration to the final image (possibly a bright diffraction spike according to some sources). The difficulty of making high-quality Amici prisms appears to be the reason that they are often marketed for terrestrial viewing or for low magnifications.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have this nice little ED80 OTA and it gives smashing images. I want to use it for terrestrial viewing. Are there any opinions about the Amici (roof) prism type erecting diagonals? I can't find much in the way of diagrams of the optics; the only one I found shows a 90° version, which is not as convenient as a 45° version
I only have nice 2" eyepieces, which limits what's available. Seems like there is no cheap solution. There is apparently a limit to magnification with these prisms. Are the cheaper ones worse in this respect?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
I have this nice little ED80 OTA and it gives smashing images. I want to use it for terrestrial viewing. Are there any opinions about the Amici (roof) prism type erecting diagonals?

hey sophi

not sure if this is the sort of thing you are after ?
Am not sure if it will erect the image ?

http://starizona.com/acb/Enhanced-Aluminum-Mirror-Diagonal---2---Satin-Finish-P2506C105.aspxDave

Thanks for getting back but that's a normal star diagonal, as far as I can make out. It is a posh (high reflectivity ) mirror and I already have one (reasonable quality, I think). It produces a mirror image and, for terrestrial viewing. the 90 degree angle is a pain - you have to look directly down into it or the image slopes drastically up/down hill. The erecting versions often has a 45 degree angle, for convenience and, like with binoculars, the roof prism gives a normal view.
This link has a picture of an amici prism system. There is a lot wrong with the system - hopeless of astronomy I think because of the streaks it gives stars and not good for high magnification because of the stripe down the middle but roof prism binos are absolutely fine with normal magnification.

sophiecentaur said:
This link has a picture of an amici prism system. There is a lot wrong with the system - hopeless of astronomy I think because of the streaks it gives stars and not good for high magnification because of the stripe down the middle but roof prism binos are absolutely fine with normal magnification.

Are you sure it's not suited for astronomical viewing? I have a hard time believing they sell them for that exact purpose if there are large problems with the design.

sophiecentaur said:
Seems like there is no cheap solution. There is apparently a limit to magnification with these prisms. Are the cheaper ones worse in this respect?

They could be, but I have no personal experience with them. I can understand why 2-inch eyepieces have expensive diagonals. That's a lot of added glass compared to the 1.25-inch eyepieces. Probably almost double the amount of glass and possibly more.

Drakkith said:
I have a hard time believing they sell them for that exact purpose
That's just it. Afaik, the erecting variety is more used for spotting scopes or for low magnification 'finder' purposes. They don't seem to be as available as the non-erecting, 90° versions on the market and I am just wondering if that's because the quality is not so good.
What I was hoping for was that someone would actually tell me they have one and it's brilliant or terrible.
It was interesting to find out about the Roof Prism principle but there are very few diagrams that make much sense. It's a very clever idea though.

sophiecentaur said:
They don't seem to be as available as the non-erecting, 90° versions on the market and I am just wondering if that's because the quality is not so good.

What do you mean a "non-erecting" version? All versions should be erecting.

As for quality, the only thing I know about them seems to be that they are more technically demanding than other types of prisms, especially the roof edge. Which makes sense, as any light that hits the peak of that roof and isn't reflected will result in a loss of light and alteration to the final image (possibly a bright diffraction spike according to some sources). The difficulty of making high-quality Amici prisms appears to be the reason that they are often marketed for terrestrial viewing or for low magnifications.

sophiecentaur said:
What I was hoping for was that someone would actually tell me they have one and it's brilliant or terrible.

Sorry, I wish I could.

A 'normal' star diagonal gives a mirror image. That is not an erecting diagonal (afaik). To get a terrestrial view, you have to be looking straight down which gives a crick neck. The 45 degree versions give a normal ('erected') image and save your neck. Good for spotting and finding. I have read that they give streaks on stars (roof effect) and also a band across the middle of a terrestrial view. I just wonder how much I will need to spend.

1. How does an eyepiece diagonal affect my telescope's image quality?

An eyepiece diagonal does not typically affect the image quality of a telescope. Instead, it is used to change the orientation of the image, allowing for more comfortable viewing for the observer.

2. What is the difference between a 90-degree and 45-degree eyepiece diagonal?

A 90-degree eyepiece diagonal reflects the image at a 90-degree angle, making it easier to observe objects directly overhead. A 45-degree eyepiece diagonal reflects the image at a 45-degree angle, making it more suitable for terrestrial viewing.

3. Which type of eyepiece diagonal is better for astrophotography?

A 90-degree eyepiece diagonal is typically better for astrophotography as it allows for a more comfortable viewing angle and reduces the risk of the camera or equipment getting in the way of the telescope's movement.

4. Can I use any eyepiece diagonal with my telescope?

It is important to check the compatibility of an eyepiece diagonal with your specific telescope before purchasing. Some telescopes may require specific types or sizes of eyepiece diagonals.

5. Are there any benefits to using a mirror or prism diagonal?

Mirror and prism diagonals both have their own advantages. A mirror diagonal is more affordable and can provide a brighter image. A prism diagonal, on the other hand, typically produces a higher quality image with better color correction. The choice between the two ultimately depends on personal preference and budget.