% error -finding the accepted value

• Thread starter thamagicone4life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error Value
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding the accepted values for copper compounds CuCl3 and CuCl5, and the need to find these values in order to calculate the percent error. It is mentioned that copper normally exists in +1 or +2 oxidation state, and the possibility of copper chloride complexes is brought up. Suggestions are made to search for a table of values online.
thamagicone4life
% error --finding the accepted value

I'm having trouble finding the accepted value for CuCl3 and CuCl5. My teacher told me that the accepted values for the two compounds were located on the web. I don't know where to go to find the accepted values of the two compounds. I need to find the accepted value so that i can find the percent error for both of the compunds.
If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh, CuCl3 and CuCl5 don't exist. Copper normally only exists in +1 or +2 oxidation state as in CuCl or CuCl2. Are you referring to some copper chloride complex (ion)? CuCl3- and CuCl5-3 I could see. What is the kind of value you are looking for these compounds?

Last edited:
thamagicone4life said:
I'm having trouble finding the accepted value
of what?
for CuCl3 and CuCl5.

Have you tried a Google search for something like "table of xxxx"?

1. What is % error and why is it important in scientific research?

% error, or percent error, is a measure of the difference between an experimental or measured value and the accepted or theoretical value. It is important in scientific research because it helps to determine the accuracy and precision of experimental results.

2. How is % error calculated?

% error is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the experimental value and the accepted value, dividing it by the accepted value, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

3. What does a positive or negative % error indicate?

A positive % error indicates that the experimental value is higher than the accepted value, while a negative % error indicates that the experimental value is lower than the accepted value.

4. What is an acceptable % error in scientific research?

There is no set acceptable % error in scientific research as it can vary depending on the experiment and the field of study. However, a lower % error generally indicates a higher level of accuracy and precision.

5. How can % error be reduced in an experiment?

To reduce % error in an experiment, it is important to minimize sources of error and to increase the precision of measurements. This can be done through careful experimental design, proper use of equipment, and multiple trials to improve accuracy.