Estimate for the liquid flow-rate into a gas scrubber

In summary, the individual needs a method for estimating the liquid flow rate required by a gas scrubber to remove organic particles. They have searched through books and journal articles but have not found anything useful. They are requesting assistance and have found a possible solution by using the liquid flowrate/gas flowrate ratio.
Hoplite
I need a method for estimating the liquid flow rate required by a gas scrubber (I know the amount of gas that needs to be scrubbed and the amount of particulates with it, but I don't know about the nature of the particles, except that they are organic).

It doesn't need to be particularly accurate or fancy, but I've looked at books, and journal articles and I can't find anything useful.

I anyone could help me, I'd be very grateful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hoplite said:
I need a method for estimating the liquid flow rate required by a gas scrubber (I know the amount of gas that needs to be scrubbed and the amount of particulates with it, but I don't know about the nature of the particles, except that they are organic).

What is being scrubbed from the gas? The particulates or some component of the gas?

It seems one would need to know something about the chemical reaction and the number of moles involved. Or if its the particulates, the specific area of the particulates and the mass of liquid/unit area of particulate reacting.

Astronuc said:
What is being scrubbed from the gas? The particulates or some component of the gas?

It seems one would need to know something about the chemical reaction and the number of moles involved. Or if its the particulates, the specific area of the particulates and the mass of liquid/unit area of particulate reacting.
You would think so. But no particle masses were given.

Fortunately, I found out that scrubbers are often rated by their liquid flowrate/gas flowrate ratio, and so I just used that.

1. How is the liquid flow-rate into a gas scrubber estimated?

The liquid flow-rate into a gas scrubber is estimated by measuring the flow rate of the liquid entering the scrubber through a flow meter. This flow meter can be a mechanical, electrical, or ultrasonic device that measures the volume of liquid passing through it per unit time. The flow meter is typically calibrated to ensure accurate measurement.

2. What factors affect the liquid flow-rate into a gas scrubber?

Several factors can affect the liquid flow-rate into a gas scrubber, including the pressure and temperature of the liquid, the viscosity of the liquid, and the size and design of the scrubber. Other factors such as the type of liquid being used, the concentration of contaminants in the gas stream, and the desired efficiency of the scrubber can also impact the flow-rate.

3. How does the liquid flow-rate impact the performance of a gas scrubber?

The liquid flow-rate is a critical factor in determining the performance of a gas scrubber. A higher flow-rate can increase the contact time between the liquid and the gas, leading to more efficient removal of contaminants. However, too high of a flow-rate can result in excessive pressure drop and potentially decrease the overall efficiency of the scrubber.

4. Can the liquid flow-rate into a gas scrubber be adjusted?

Yes, the liquid flow-rate into a gas scrubber can be adjusted by changing the flow of the liquid into the scrubber through the flow meter. This can be done manually or automatically using a control system. It is important to carefully monitor and adjust the flow-rate to maintain optimal performance of the scrubber.

5. How often should the liquid flow-rate be monitored and adjusted?

The frequency of monitoring and adjusting the liquid flow-rate into a gas scrubber will depend on several factors, such as the type of contaminants being removed, the flow-rate, and the efficiency of the scrubber. In general, it is recommended to monitor and adjust the flow-rate regularly, especially if there are any changes in the gas stream or operating conditions that could impact the performance of the scrubber.