Estimating Area of Kidney-Shaped Pool Using Simpson's Rule

• Thread starter bns1201
  • Start date
In summary, Simpson's Rule can be used to estimate the area of a kidney-shaped swimming pool by dividing the pool into subintervals and using the formula \frac{b-a}{6}[f(a)+4f\frac{a+b}{2}+f(b)] for each group of points. The width at the edges of the pool is assumed to be 0 and the width between points is 2 meters. The answer should be rounded to the nearest square meter.
bns1201

Homework Statement

The widths (in meters) of a kidney-shaped swimming pool were measured at 2 meter intervals as indicated in the figure. Use Simpson's Rule to estimate the area of the pool. Please round the answer to the nearest square meter.

7-7-030alt.gif

a = 5.8
b = 6.6
c = 5.4
d = 5.8
e = 5.2
f = 4.8
g = 5.2

Homework Equations

I know that the general formula for Simpson's rule is [tex]\frac{b-a}{6}[/tex][f(a)+4f[tex]\frac{a+b}{2}[/tex]+f(b)]

Which is applicable over n subintervals

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

My attempt was to do:

[tex]\frac{2}{6}[/tex][5.8+4[tex]\frac{5.8+6.6}{2}[/tex]+6.6] + [tex]\frac{2}{6}[/tex][6.6+4[tex]\frac{6.6+5.4}{2}[/tex]+5.4] +
[tex]\frac{2}{6}[/tex][4.8+4[tex]\frac{4.8+5.2}{2}[/tex]+5.2]

But that did was not right.

My gripe is that the question does not allow me to find the function of [tex]\frac{a+b}{2}[/tex]

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle this problem? Thanks

Attachments

• 7-7-030alt.gif
    7-7-030alt.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,085
Physics news on Phys.org
bns1201 said:

Homework Statement

The widths (in meters) of a kidney-shaped swimming pool were measured at 2 meter intervals as indicated in the figure. Use Simpson's Rule to estimate the area of the pool. Please round the answer to the nearest square meter.

a = 5.8
b = 6.6
c = 5.4
d = 5.8
e = 5.2
f = 4.8
g = 5.2

Homework Equations

I know that the general formula for Simpson's rule is [tex]\frac{b-a}{6}[/tex][f(a)+4f[tex]\frac{a+b}{2}[/tex]+f(b)]

Which is applicable over n subintervals No, it's over two intervals [a, (a+b)/2] and [(a+b)/2, b], in practise.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle this problem?
Denote f(x0)=a=5.8, f(x1)=b, f(x2)=c, ..., f(x6)=g.

The formula you stated (let me replace a and b with x and y, respectively, to avoid confusion with your problem) requires values of f at x, y and their midpoint (x+y)/2, so to apply it to the problem one would group the intervals as {x0, x1, x2}, {x2, x3, x4}, {x4, x5, x6}, and apply the formula to each, then sum.

Note that in doing so you'll essentially derive Simpson's rule for a function tabulated at n points.

i did this, but the answer is not working...i'm getting (b-a)/6 is 4/6

any other suggestions to this because I am having trouble. thanks
I don't think it makes a difference but the answer is asked for in meters squared

anyone have suggestions?

What you supposed to get (if you know)? The problem is a little ambiguous. For one, there are an odd number of points given and for another are you supposed to consider the ends of the pool where the width is zero and assume they are 2m from points a and g? One way to do it is split the seven points plus the two extra points into 3 groups of 3 points. But it's hard to know what they expect.

In this case the pool is 16 m wide and there are 8 subdivisions so delta x equals 2.

f(x_0)=0 and f(x_n)=0 since the edges of the pool have no height.

the resulting formula is:

(2/3)(0 + 4f(a) + 2f(b) + 4f(c) + ... + 4f(g) + 0)

Related to Estimating Area of Kidney-Shaped Pool Using Simpson's Rule

1. What is Simpson's Rule and how is it used?

Simpson's Rule is a numerical method for approximating the area under a curve. It is used to estimate the value of a definite integral by dividing the interval into equally spaced subintervals and using quadratic polynomials to approximate the curve within each subinterval.

2. How does Simpson's Rule differ from other numerical integration methods?

Simpson's Rule is more accurate than other methods such as the Trapezoidal Rule because it uses quadratic polynomials instead of straight lines to approximate the curve. This allows for a better fit to the curve and a more precise estimation of the integral value.

3. What are the limitations of Simpson's Rule?

Simpson's Rule is only accurate for functions that are smooth and continuous. It also requires an even number of subintervals, which may not be feasible for all situations. Additionally, it can be time-consuming to calculate for a large number of subintervals.

4. How do you determine the number of subintervals to use in Simpson's Rule?

The number of subintervals used in Simpson's Rule is determined by the desired level of accuracy. Generally, a higher number of subintervals will result in a more accurate estimation of the integral value. However, there is a trade-off with the time and effort required to calculate a larger number of subintervals.

5. Can Simpson's Rule be used for any type of integral?

Simpson's Rule can be used for definite integrals with a known function. It cannot be used for indefinite integrals where the function is not known. It is also not suitable for integrals with infinite limits or discontinuous functions.