Estimating Atmospheric Masses Using the Barometric Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to estimate the mass of carbon dioxide in the atmospheres of Venus, Earth, and Mars. The initial thought is to use the exponential atmosphere equation, but it is determined that the equation is not the correct approach. Instead, the conversation leads to using the equation P=mg and considering the total areas to calculate the mass. The height of the atmosphere is also discussed, with the conclusion that it is best to keep it at the surface when estimating the mass.
Brewer
I've been given some homework questions (about the solar system, but I'm sure that it fits in this section of the board) and its all fine until I get to the part asking about atmospheres. I have a feeling that I know what I'm supposed to do, but I feel that I'm missing something blindingly obvious, as I can't actually find an answer.

The question asks me to estimate the mass of carbon dioxide on Venus, Earth and Mars, given ground level pressure, surface temp, surface gravity and the fractional CO2 content.

My initial thought it to use the exponential atmosphere equation:

P(h) = P(0)*exp-(mgh/kT), and solve for m, and multiplying this by the fractional CO2 content. But I don't think that this is the way to go somehow, as I don't have a a value of P(h). And now I'm stumped. Can anyone help me at all (because my notes sure can't!)

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about how you go about calculating the pressure of a mercury column.

You mean along the lines of pressure = force/unit area?

Yes. And --- force equals what?

f = ma. so in this case is a = g?

If that's right, do I then equate that with the equation I put down earlier? If i do that I can't see how to solve for m, if there's an m in the exponential as well as the LHS.

assuming unit area of course?

Brewer said:
f = ma. so in this case is a = g?

Yes.

If that's right, do I then equate that with the equation I put down earlier?

No.

If i do that I can't see how to solve for m, if there's an m in the exponential as well as the LHS.

You've been given P, g, and CO2 content. "You mean along the lines of pressure = force/unit area?" What does the force equal?

P=mg, therefore m=P/g right?

Correct. Now what're the total areas?

4*pi*R^2??

Does it matter the height of the atmosphere, so that it would be radius of planet and height above planet, or is it best to keep it all at the surface? It makes more sense to me to keep it at the surface, but doesn't the atmosphere not start until you get a certain distance up?

You're asked to "estimate." g depends upon distance from COM, but, just for example, the Earth's atmosphere extends how far above the surface? That's the barometric equation you were playing with --- integrate to get however many "nines" of the total mass you'd like to play with. Height matters for low mass systems. Planets are in general not low mass. The "atmosphere" includes all gas phase mass associated with the planet. You can look at that any way you like: include all pore space in soils, cavern volumes; exclude gases dissolved in liquid or solid phases in the planetary structure. The question isn't asking for that kind of detail, so you are calculating the mass above the surface.

1. What is atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is the force per unit area exerted by the weight of Earth's atmosphere on a surface. It is commonly measured in units of pressure such as pounds per square inch (psi) or millibars.

2. What causes changes in atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure can change due to various factors such as changes in temperature, altitude, and the amount of water vapor in the air. It is also affected by weather patterns and the movement of high and low pressure systems.

3. How is atmospheric pressure measured?

Atmospheric pressure is typically measured using a barometer, which is a device that detects and measures the weight of the column of air above it. Other instruments such as aneroid barometers and digital pressure sensors can also be used to measure atmospheric pressure.

4. What is the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level?

The standard atmospheric pressure at sea level is approximately 14.7 pounds per square inch (psi) or 1013 millibars. This is also known as one atmosphere (atm) of pressure.

5. How does atmospheric pressure affect weather patterns?

Changes in atmospheric pressure can influence weather patterns, as areas of high pressure typically bring clear, dry weather while areas of low pressure often bring cloudy, stormy weather. These pressure systems can also affect wind patterns and the movement of air masses.