Estimating Car Speed from Skid Marks

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of a car before braking, given the length of skid marks and the deceleration. The person has some confusion about using the kinematic equation for constant acceleration and whether to use velocity or speed. They also mention getting a velocity of -35m/s, but clarify that speed is the magnitude of velocity and has no direction. They suggest using the formula v^2=u^2+2as, but advise being careful of signs.
nordqvist11

Homework Statement

In coming to a stop a car leaves skid marks 92m long on the highway. Assuming a decceleration of 7.00 m/s^2 , estimate the SPEED of the car just before braking.

I have a question though, is my approach ok? You can see my confusion in various parts of my procedures below, I guess it's the fact that it says find speed not velocity.

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equation for constant acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics_2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Speed=velocity lol

I got -35m/s as my velocity though

Speed is the magnitude of velocity and has no direction.

EDIT: Assuming you are using the formula: v^2=u^2+2as you may need to check what you are using as v and u and be careful of your signs.

0 = u^2 +2as
u^2=-2as

Does that make sense?

Last edited:

I understand your confusion about the difference between speed and velocity. In this scenario, we are looking for the speed of the car, which is the magnitude of its velocity. The kinematic equation for constant acceleration can be used to solve for the initial velocity of the car before braking.

First, we need to rearrange the equation to solve for initial velocity (v0):

v0 = vf - at

Where:
v0 = initial velocity (unknown)
vf = final velocity (0 m/s since the car comes to a stop)
a = acceleration (-7.00 m/s^2)
t = time (unknown)

Next, we need to find the time it took for the car to come to a stop. We can use the equation d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance (92m) and v0 is the initial velocity we are trying to solve for. Rearranging the equation, we get:

t = (-v0 ± √(v0^2 + 4ad)) / 2a

Plugging in the values, we get:

t = (-v0 ± √(v0^2 + 4(-7.00)(92))) / 2(-7.00)

Simplifying, we get two possible values for t:

t1 = (-v0 + 30.4) / -14.0
t2 = (-v0 - 30.4) / -14.0

Since we are looking for the time it took for the car to come to a stop, we can ignore the negative value for t2. Now, we can plug in t1 into our first equation to solve for v0:

v0 = 0 - (-7.00)(t1)
v0 = 7.00t1

Substituting t1, we get:

v0 = 7.00((-v0 + 30.4) / -14.0)

Solving for v0, we get:

v0 = 30.4 / 7.00 = 4.34 m/s

Therefore, the estimated speed of the car just before braking is 4.34 m/s. It is important to note that this is just an estimate and may not be completely accurate due to factors such as friction and other external forces. Further analysis and measurements may be needed to get a more precise

1. How accurate is estimating car speed from skid marks?

Estimating car speed from skid marks is not an exact science and can vary in accuracy. It depends on several factors such as the type of vehicle, road conditions, and the length and depth of the skid marks. It is often used as a starting point for further investigation rather than a definitive answer.

2. What is the formula for estimating car speed from skid marks?

The most commonly used formula for estimating car speed from skid marks is the "Critical Speed Formula" which takes into account the length of the skid marks and the friction coefficient of the road surface. However, this formula is not always accurate and should be used with caution.

3. Can skid marks be used to determine the exact speed of a car?

No, skid marks cannot determine the exact speed of a car. They can only provide an estimate of the minimum speed a car was traveling at before the brakes were applied. Other factors such as the weight of the vehicle, condition of the brakes, and weather conditions can affect the accuracy of the estimate.

4. Are there any other methods for estimating car speed besides skid marks?

Yes, there are other methods for estimating car speed such as using video footage, witness statements, and analyzing vehicle damage. These methods can provide a more accurate estimate of car speed compared to relying solely on skid marks.

5. How can estimating car speed from skid marks be helpful in a car accident investigation?

Estimating car speed from skid marks can provide valuable information for car accident investigations. It can help determine the minimum speed a car was traveling at, which can be used to reconstruct the accident. It can also help identify if a driver was speeding or if there were any contributing factors to the accident, such as slippery road conditions.