Estimating Pion mass using the uncertainty principle

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation \DeltaE\Deltat ~ h bar to estimate the mass energy in MeV based on Yukawa's original prediction for pion mass-energy and the range of the nuclear force. One person is struggling with understanding the equation and someone else suggests using the speed of light as a conversion factor and considering the energy spread over short time scales.
01trayj
1. The problem is based uponYukawa's original prediction for pion mass-energy.

suppose the force between nucleons is due to the emission of a particle mass m from one nucleon and the absorption by another. given the range of the nuclear force is

R=(1.4)[tex]\times[/tex]10[tex]^{-15}[/tex]

use [tex]\Delta[/tex]E[tex]\Delta[/tex]t ~ h bar
to make an order of magnitude estimate of the mass energy in MeV

x=position
p=momentum
E=energy
m=pion rest mass
h bar = reduced Planck constant
t=time
c=speed of light
[tex]\Delta[/tex]=uncertainty in _

the equation required by the question is
[tex]\Delta[/tex]E[tex]\Delta[/tex]t ~ h bar

i also attempted using

E[tex]^{2}[/tex]=p[tex]^{2}[/tex]c[tex]^{2}[/tex] +m[tex]^{2}[/tex]c[tex]^{4}[/tex]

and the momentum form of the uncertainty principle

[tex]\Delta[/tex]p[tex]\Delta[/tex]x ~ h

I was pretty stumped because i couldn't fathom what the delta t represented, and how to use the required equation with just one variable. i used dimensional analysis as i knew it would have to be made up of constants h and c and the given value R (taken to be delta x) and got
E~[tex]\frac{hc}{R}[/tex]
But this does not take into account any prefactors and doesn't use the required equation. i also tried subbing the momentum form of the uncertainty principle into thye relativistic energy equation, but to no avail as the Delta t is still there

This is one of the first questions from my introductory quantum mech. course, so I'm not particularly clue up on the physical principle, can someone please point me in the right direction?

Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the speed of light as a conversion factor between length and time. You're given a length scale R; it'll correspond to a time scale, which gives you an estimate for [itex]\Delta t[/itex].

The uncertainty principle [itex]\Delta E\Delta t \approx \hbar[/itex] says that over short time scales, the energy of a system doesn't have a definite value but has a spread of values, so as long as a process, like exchanging a meson, occurs over a short enough period of time, the energy required for the process, like the energy of the meson, is available.

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

2. How does the uncertainty principle relate to estimating the pion mass?

The uncertainty principle can be used to estimate the mass of the pion, a subatomic particle, by considering its position and momentum. By measuring the position of the pion, we can determine its wavelength, which is related to its momentum. Using this information, we can then apply the uncertainty principle to calculate an estimated range for the pion's mass.

3. What is the significance of estimating the pion mass?

The pion is an important particle in quantum physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the strong nuclear force, which holds the nucleus of an atom together. By accurately estimating the mass of the pion, we can gain a better understanding of the fundamental forces that govern our universe.

4. Is the estimation of the pion mass using the uncertainty principle accurate?

The estimation of the pion mass using the uncertainty principle is not always accurate, as it is based on the measurement of the pion's position and momentum, which can have inherent uncertainties. However, it can provide a good approximation and is a valuable tool in understanding the properties of subatomic particles.

5. Are there any other applications of the uncertainty principle in science?

Yes, the uncertainty principle has many other applications in science, particularly in quantum mechanics and particle physics. It is used to explain the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and has also been applied in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography. Additionally, the uncertainty principle has implications in various areas of physics, including optics, thermodynamics, and even biology.