Estimating the energy released in fission

In summary, the conversation is about estimating the energy released by the fission of a 235U nucleus. The person is given the mass of a 235U nucleus and 141Cs nucleus and 93Rb nucleus in the 'Useful constants and formula' section of an exam. They are wondering if they need to use these values or if there is another method to estimate the energy released. The conversation also discusses the inclusion of the neutron mass in the calculation.
Fixxxer125
Hi
I have been asked in a past exam paper to estimate the energy released by the fission of one 235U nucleus. I am given the mass of a 235U nucleus and also 141Cs nucleus and 93Rb nucleus in the 'Useful constants and formula' section of the exam so I wondered if I had to use these, although obviously 141 and 93 do not sum to 235 so I wondered if there was a method to estimate the energy released by a fission without using mass differences etc, like if you just used an estimate of the energy released per nucleon in fission or something? Many Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Did the 'Useful constants and formulae' also contain the mass of the neutron? ;)

Ah yea so do you add the neutron mass to the Rb and Cs nuclei and make this the products and calculate the mass deficit this way?

1. How is the energy released in fission measured?

The energy released in fission is measured in units of energy called electron volts (eV). One eV is equal to the amount of energy gained by an electron when it is accelerated through a potential difference of one volt.

2. What factors determine the amount of energy released in fission?

The amount of energy released in fission is determined by the type of nucleus undergoing fission, the type of fission reaction (spontaneous or induced), and the amount of mass converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc².

3. Can the energy released in fission be calculated?

Yes, the energy released in fission can be calculated using the following equation: E=Q/n, where E is the energy released, Q is the amount of energy released per reaction, and n is the number of reactions.

4. How does the energy released in fission compare to other sources of energy?

The energy released in fission is much greater than other sources of energy, such as fossil fuels. One kilogram of uranium-235, the most commonly used fuel in nuclear reactors, can produce the same amount of energy as 3 million kilograms of coal.

5. What is the potential for harnessing the energy released in fission?

The energy released in fission has the potential to provide a significant source of electricity and power for various applications, including homes, businesses, and even spacecraft. However, safety concerns and proper management of nuclear waste are important considerations in harnessing this energy source.