Euclid Math Contest: Grade 12 Student Writing April 19 Test

• Thread starter MiniTank
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contest
In summary, the Euclid math contest is a test that is written by the University of Waterloo. It is a general math competition that students of that grade should already be familiar with. Whoever gets first place in the contest gets a scholarship to the University of Waterloo.
MiniTank
I'm not sure if this site is Canadian or not, but in Canada, we have math contests. These are tests written by the university of Waterloo. I'm in grade 12 this year and I am writing the Euclid math contest on Tues, April 19. Anyone have any experience with this test? Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
No, the test is not about Euclidean Geometry. It's just named after Euclid. Each year of high school, they have one: 9 - Gauss, 10,11,12,13 - Cayley, Fermat, Descartes, Euclid (can't remember the order of the last 4). That was when I was in high school in Ontario. They no longer have OAC (or grade 13), so one of those tests will be gone. It's just a general math competition, with relatively hard problems, based on whatever students of that grade learn and should already know. I believe you can find places on the web with past competitions, so you can download them and do them. I can't think of better preparation than that. Make sure you know what you've been taught this year as well.

lol... I am writing it too... April 19 right?... I am only in grade 11 but i jumped ahead in math so my teacher let me write it. i hear whoever gets first place in it gets a really good scollership for waterloo.

I wrote it back when I was in grade 12.

As for advice, try some of the http://www.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/english/contests/euclid.shtml to get an idea of what the test is like.

Like AKG said, aside from doing those tests, the best thing to do is to understand the current material.

IMO, especially Geometry and Discrete Mathematics.

Calculus and Pre-Calc is all simple algebra anyways :P

I don't recall any Data Management questions being on the test ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Being in grade 10 i did a test too... The last number is always the harder...

well there are workshops which i am working on, now. they can be found on the same site as the old tests. and I am currently taking both geometry and discrete math as well as calculus, and were only barely half way into the courses, so they won't help that much. Nx2, what you said is true, but not only for waterloo. I'm pretty sure most universities will consider giving you a scholarship. But that's only if you do extremely well, I'm guessing minimum top 10.

well i already have my first question,
http://cemc.uwaterloo.ca/english/contests/euclid_prep/archive/eew_ps1.pdf
#3 at the bottom,
http://cemc.uwaterloo.ca/english/contests/euclid_prep/archive/eew_ps1_sol.pdf
There is the answer, but I don't get how they end up getting log 200/2. I understand how they get the "log (3/2 x 4/3 x ...200/199)" but not the next part. Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
alright nevermind, I figured it out, the numerators and denomators cancel out when you multiply them.

1. What is the Euclid Math Contest: Grade 12 Student Writing April 19 Test?

The Euclid Math Contest is an annual mathematics competition for high school students in Canada. It is organized by the University of Waterloo's Centre for Education in Mathematics and Computing (CEMC) and is open to students in grades 9 to 12. The Grade 12 Student Writing Test is a part of the Euclid Math Contest and focuses on mathematical problem-solving and communication skills.

2. How is the Euclid Math Contest: Grade 12 Student Writing April 19 Test structured?

The Grade 12 Student Writing Test consists of two parts: a multiple-choice section and a longer free-response section. The multiple-choice section contains 50 questions and students have 60 minutes to complete it. The free-response section contains 6 open-ended questions and students have 60 minutes to complete it. The test is designed to assess students' understanding of various mathematical concepts and their ability to communicate their solutions effectively.

3. Who can participate in the Euclid Math Contest: Grade 12 Student Writing April 19 Test?

The Euclid Math Contest is open to all high school students in grades 9 to 12 in Canada. However, students must be registered by their school in order to participate. Students can only participate in the contest once per year, in either April or May.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the Euclid Math Contest: Grade 12 Student Writing April 19 Test?

Participating in the Euclid Math Contest can provide several benefits for students. It allows them to challenge themselves and showcase their mathematical skills and knowledge. It also gives them the opportunity to compete with other high achieving students across Canada. Additionally, the contest can help students prepare for university-level mathematics courses and can even lead to scholarship opportunities.

5. How can students prepare for the Euclid Math Contest: Grade 12 Student Writing April 19 Test?

Students can prepare for the Euclid Math Contest by practicing various mathematical problems and concepts. They can also review past contest questions and solutions to get an idea of the types of questions that may be asked. Additionally, participating in math clubs or attending workshops can also help students prepare for the contest. It is important for students to also focus on developing their problem-solving and communication skills, as these are key components of the test.