Euler transform matrix multiplication help

In summary, the user is struggling with a 3x3 matrix multiplication and is seeking step-by-step help. They have three given matrices (T1, T2, and T3) and need to evaluate T3*T2*T1 to find the new transform matrix. The expert explains that matrix multiplication can be thought of in terms of dot products and provides examples for multiplying two 3x3 matrices. They also clarify that matrix multiplication is not commutative, meaning the order of multiplication depends on the order in which the transformations are applied.
weedannycool
!Euler transform matrix multiplication help!

Homework Statement

This may be rather simple but i am really struggling to complete a 3 3x3 matrix multiplication. I NEED STEP BY STEP WORKING!. This would really help me
I understand the theory. Basically I have three matrices

T1= cosψ sin ψ 0
-sinψ cosψ 0
0 0 1

T2= cosθ 0 - sin θ
0 1 0
sin 0 cosθ

T3= 1 0 0
0 cosω sin
0 -sinω cosω

Homework Equations

The formulae used for the transform is X=T3*T2*T1 Xe

I just need to know how to evaluate T3*T2*T1

Also do they have to be done in order?

I just need the new transform matrix

The Attempt at a Solution

I have endless attempts at this. all wrong

I've looked for worked examples but they all skip the actual working part that would gain me the marks I need.

I know this will be a pain to type but it give me the help a need

Physics news on Phys.org

My question is, why are you being given homework like this if you have never been taught how to multiply matrices?

I have always felt that the best way to think about matrix multiplication to think of it in terms of "dot products". In terms of 3-vectors, the dot product is given by [itex]\begin{pmatrix}a & b & c \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x & y & z\end{pmatrix}= ax+ by+ cz[/itex]

To multiply two 3 by 3 matrices, think of each row of the first matrix and each column of the second matrix as vectors. The number in the "ith row", "jth column" of the product matrix is the dot product of the ith row of the first matrix with the jth column of the second matrix.

For example, to multiply
[tex]A= \begin{pmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]B= \begin{pmatrix}j & k & l\\ m & n & o \\ p & q & r\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

the number in the "second row, third column" will be the dot product of the second row of A, [itex]\begin{pmatrix}d & e & f\end{pmatrix}[/itex] and the third column of B, [itex]\begin{pmatrix}l & o & r\end{pmatrix}[/itex], dl+ eo+ fr.

[tex]AB= \begin{pmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}j & k & l\\ m & n & o \\ p & q & r\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}aj+bm+ cp & ak+ bn+ cq & al+ bo+ cr \\ dj+ ek+ fl & dm+ en+ fq & dl + eo+ fr \\ gj+ hm+ ip & gk+ hn+ iq & gl+ ho+ ir\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers. Just gaps in my learning really. Will the answer be the same if it was B*A? I think i must have been doing the order of calculation wrong. In my other tries i have done T1T2T3, which is not the same as the formula . So i guess it must be the other way around

No, matrix multiplication is NOT "commutative". In general, [itex]AB\ne BA[/itex]. In terms of matrices representing transformations, the order of multiplication depends upon the order in which you are applying the transformations. If you first apply the transformation B to vector or point x, then apply transformation A, you multiply the matrices as ABx.

(Note this is based on the convention of writing x as a column. If you are writing x as a row rather than a column then the multiplication would be xBA. But in either case, B, the transformation first applied to x, is the matrix next to x.)

what is an Euler transform matrix multiplication?

An Euler transform matrix multiplication is a method used to multiply two matrices together. It involves the use of Euler angles, which represent the rotation of one coordinate system with respect to another, to transform the matrices into a common coordinate system before multiplying them together.

what is the purpose of using an Euler transform matrix multiplication?

The purpose of using an Euler transform matrix multiplication is to simplify the multiplication of two matrices that are in different coordinate systems. By using Euler angles to transform the matrices into a common coordinate system, the multiplication becomes easier and more efficient.

what are the steps involved in performing an Euler transform matrix multiplication?

The steps involved in performing an Euler transform matrix multiplication are:
1. Determine the Euler angles that represent the rotation between the two coordinate systems.
2. Use the Euler angles to create a transformation matrix.
3. Multiply the first matrix by the transformation matrix.
4. Multiply the result of step 3 by the second matrix.
5. The final result is the product of the two matrices in the common coordinate system.

what are the common applications of Euler transform matrix multiplication?

Euler transform matrix multiplication is commonly used in robotics, computer graphics, and physics. It is used to calculate the rotation of objects in three-dimensional space, such as in 3D animations and simulations. It is also used in robotics to determine the orientation of a robot's end-effector based on the movement of its joints.

what are the limitations of using Euler transform matrix multiplication?

There are a few limitations to using Euler transform matrix multiplication. One limitation is that it can only be used for rotations in three-dimensional space. It also does not take into account translations or scaling, so it cannot be used for general transformations. Additionally, there is a possibility of encountering singularities, where the Euler angles cannot accurately represent the rotation between two coordinate systems.