Euler's equations in differential forms

In summary, Euler's equations can be written using vector calculus and differential forms, and under certain assumptions, the two formulations are equivalent.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Euler's equations can be written using vector calculus as

##\displaystyle{\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial t}+v^{j}\left(\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial x^{j}}\right) = -\left(\frac{1}{\rho}\right)\frac{\partial p}{\partial x^{i}}+f_{i}}.##
Euler's equations can also be written using differential forms as

##\displaystyle{\mathcal{L}_{{\bf{v}}+\partial / \partial t}(\nu) = \textbf{d} \left\{\frac{1}{2}||{\bf{v}}||^{2}+\phi-\int\frac{dp}{\rho}\right\}}##
Under the assumption that ##f_{i} = \text{grad}_{i}\phi##, that ##p=p(\rho)## and that ##\nu## is the ##1##-form with components ##v_i##, how can you prove that the two formulations above are equivalent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\displaystyle{\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial t}+v^{j}\left(\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial x^{j}}\right) = -\left(\frac{1}{\rho}\right)\frac{\partial p}{\partial x^{i}}+f_{i}}##

##\displaystyle{\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{j}}\left(v^{j}v_{i}\right)-v_{i}\frac{\partial v^{j}}{\partial x^{j}} = \text{grad}_{i}\ \left(-\int\frac{dp}{\rho}\right)+\text{grad}_{i}\ \phi}##

##\displaystyle{\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{j}}\left(v^{j}v_{i}\right) = v_{i}\frac{\partial v^{j}}{\partial x^{j}}+\text{grad}_{i}\ \left(-\int\frac{dp}{\rho}\right)+\text{grad}_{i}\ \phi}##

##\text{I have to fill up this missing line}##

##\displaystyle{\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{j}}\left(v^{j}v_{i}\right) + \frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial t} = \text{grad}_{i}\left(\frac{1}{2}||{\bf{v}}||^{2}\right)+\text{grad}_{i}\ \left(-\int\frac{dp}{\rho}\right)+\text{grad}_{i}\ \phi}##

##\displaystyle{\frac{\partial\nu}{\partial t}+\mathcal{L}_{\bf{v}}(\nu) = \textbf{d}\left\{\frac{1}{2}||{\bf{v}}||^{2}+\phi-\int\frac{dp}{\rho}\right\}}##

##\displaystyle{\mathcal{L}_{{\bf{v}}+\partial / \partial t}(\nu) = \textbf{d} \left\{\frac{1}{2}||{\bf{v}}||^{2}+\phi-\int\frac{dp}{\rho}\right\}}##

Physics news on Phys.org

To prove that the two formulations are equivalent, we can start by expanding the terms in the first equation using the given assumptions:

##\displaystyle{v^{j}\left(\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial x^{j}}\right) = v_{i}\frac{\partial v^{j}}{\partial x^{j}}}##

##\displaystyle{-\left(\frac{1}{\rho}\right)\frac{\partial p}{\partial x^{i}} = -\text{grad}_{i}\left(\frac{dp}{\rho}\right)}##

Substituting these into the first equation, we get:

##\displaystyle{\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{j}}\left(v_{i}v^{j}\right) = v_{i}\frac{\partial v^{j}}{\partial x^{j}}-\text{grad}_{i}\left(\frac{dp}{\rho}\right)+f_{i}}##

Using the definition of the Lie derivative, we can rewrite this as:

##\displaystyle{\frac{\partial v_{i}}{\partial t}+\mathcal{L}_{\bf{v}}(\nu) = \textbf{d}\left\{\frac{1}{2}||{\bf{v}}||^{2}+\phi-\int\frac{dp}{\rho}\right\}}##

Which is equivalent to the second equation given. Therefore, we have proven that the two formulations are equivalent.

1. What are Euler's equations in differential forms?

Euler's equations in differential forms are a set of equations in vector calculus that describe the motion of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. They are derived from the laws of motion and relate the angular velocity of a body to its mass, inertia, and external forces.

2. How are Euler's equations in differential forms different from other formulations of Euler's equations?

Euler's equations in differential forms are a more compact and elegant formulation of the traditional Euler's equations, which are written in terms of the components of angular velocity and external forces. They also take into account the geometry of the rigid body, making them more general and applicable to a wider range of problems.

3. What is the significance of the differential form in Euler's equations?

The differential form in Euler's equations represents the infinitesimal rotation of a rigid body at a specific point in time. By integrating this form over time, we can determine the overall rotation of the body. This makes it a useful tool for analyzing the motion of rigid bodies.

4. How are Euler's equations in differential forms used in real-world applications?

Euler's equations in differential forms are used in various fields, such as aerospace engineering, robotics, and physics, to study the behavior of rigid bodies. They are also used in computer simulations to model the motion of objects in three-dimensional space.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler's equations in differential forms?

While Euler's equations in differential forms are a powerful tool for analyzing the motion of rigid bodies, they have limitations. For example, they assume that the body is perfectly rigid and that the external forces acting on it are known. These assumptions may not hold true in all real-world scenarios.