1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate line integral

1. May 20, 2012 #1

sharks

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have attached the problem to the post.

2. Relevant equations
    Properties of line integral. Path independence.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have shown that the path is independent, as:
    [tex]\partial P/\partial y = \partial Q/\partial x[/tex]
    The problem is with the parametrization. I found ##dx/dt## and ##dy/dt## and replaced into the line integral as well as x and y, so i have the line integral in terms of ##t## only. But the expansion becomes such a mess. I don't know if there's some simplification to be done, before integrating w.r.t.t. If not, then i'm stuck. I have a doubt that the path being independent has something to do with the simplification of the evaluation of line integral, but i can't figure how.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It looks like you need to either evaluate the integral using the original contour numerically or choose a different path to make the integral doable.

4. May 20, 2012 #3
    ... or you could use the Fundamental Theorem for Line Integrals.

5. May 21, 2012 #4

sharks

Gold Member

I got the answer key for this today and it involves using the 3rd theorem of line integrals, which converts the line integral into a function, ##\phi (x,y)## and then just evaluate that function over the limits by calculating the two sets of points in terms of x and y. No integration required! At least, not to get the final solution. It's surprising, as the answer is very short.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook