Path Independence in Line Integrals: Simplifying Evaluation | Problem Attached

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of evaluating a line integral using the properties of line integrals and path independence. The individual has attempted to solve the problem by finding the line integral in terms of a parameter, but it becomes complex and they are unsure if there is a simplification that can be done. The other person suggests using the Fundamental Theorem for Line Integrals or evaluating the integral numerically. However, the answer key uses the 3rd theorem of line integrals to convert the line integral into a function and then evaluate it over the limits, resulting in a short and simple solution.
DryRun
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have attached the problem to the post.

Homework Equations

Properties of line integral. Path independence.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown that the path is independent, as:
[tex]\partial P/\partial y = \partial Q/\partial x[/tex]
The problem is with the parametrization. I found ##dx/dt## and ##dy/dt## and replaced into the line integral as well as x and y, so i have the line integral in terms of ##t## only. But the expansion becomes such a mess. I don't know if there's some simplification to be done, before integrating w.r.t.t. If not, then I'm stuck. I have a doubt that the path being independent has something to do with the simplification of the evaluation of line integral, but i can't figure how.

Attachments

• lineint.PNG
    lineint.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you need to either evaluate the integral using the original contour numerically or choose a different path to make the integral doable.

... or you could use the Fundamental Theorem for Line Integrals.

I got the answer key for this today and it involves using the 3rd theorem of line integrals, which converts the line integral into a function, ##\phi (x,y)## and then just evaluate that function over the limits by calculating the two sets of points in terms of x and y. No integration required! At least, not to get the final solution. It's surprising, as the answer is very short.

Related to Path Independence in Line Integrals: Simplifying Evaluation | Problem Attached

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the work done by a vector field along a path. It involves integrating a function along a curve in a vector field.

What is the purpose of evaluating a line integral?

The purpose of evaluating a line integral is to determine the amount of work done by a vector field along a specific path. It is also used to calculate other physical quantities such as flux and circulation.

What are the different types of line integrals?

There are two types of line integrals: path integrals and surface integrals. Path integrals are calculated along a curve in a vector field, while surface integrals are calculated over a surface in a vector field.

How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by breaking the curve into small segments, approximating each segment with a linear function, and then integrating the function over the curve. This process is called Riemann sum. Alternatively, line integrals can also be calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

What are some real-life applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have various real-life applications, including calculating the work done by a force along a path, determining the flow of a fluid through a pipe, and calculating the electric or magnetic field around a wire or coil.