Evaluate the definite integral

In summary: Overall, this conversation is about solving an integral using substitution. The key steps are to make the substitution u = x2 + a2 and evaluate the integral at the limits 0 and a. The final answer is \frac{1}{3}(2\sqrt{2}-1)a^{3}.
frosty8688
1. [itex]\int^{a}_{0} x\sqrt{x^{2}+a^{2}}[/itex] a > 0

2. u = x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + a[itex]^{2}[/itex], du = 2x

3. [itex]\frac{1}{2}\int^{a}_{0}\frac{2u^{3/2}}{3} = \frac{1}{3}\int ^{a}_{0}(x^{2}+a^{2})^{3/2}[/itex] How do I solve this? Any hints?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
frosty8688 said:
1. [itex]\int^{a}_{0} x\sqrt{x^{2}+a^{2}}[/itex] a > 0

2. u = x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + a[itex]^{2}[/itex], du = 2x

3. [itex]\frac{1}{2}\int^{a}_{0}\frac{2u^{3/2}}{3} = \frac{1}{3}\int ^{a}_{0}(x^{2}+a^{2})^{3/2}[/itex] How do I solve this? Any hints?

You have omitted dx. You might think this to be an unimportant appendage that can be ignored, but as you learn additional integration techniques, it becomes very important.

In your ordinary substitution, u = x2 + a2, and du = 2xdx.

Making the substitution, you get
$$ \frac{1}{2}\int_0^a u^{1/2}du = \frac{2}{2 \cdot 3}\left. u^{3/2} \right|_0^a$$
$$ =\frac{1}{3} \left. (\sqrt{x^2 + a^2})^3 \right|_0^a$$

Evaluate the quantity at x = a, and then at x = 0, and subtract the two values.

So we let a = 1 and 1+1 = 2 and it would be sqrt 2^3 which would be 2 sqrt 2 - (0+1)^3 = 1 all to a^3 * 1/3.

frosty8688 said:
So we let a = 1 and 1+1 = 2 and it would be sqrt 2^3 which would be 2 sqrt 2 - (0+1)^3 = 1 all to a^3 * 1/3.
No, you don't assign a value to a.

Instead of writing stuff like "which would be 2 sqrt 2 - (0+1)^3 = 1 all to a^3 * 1/3" that makes little sense, try writing some actual mathematics, with = between equal expressions.

So [itex]\left|x\right| = a[/itex] and -a.

Is there an equation I can use to compute the values of x?

I got it when a is evaluated x = +/- 1 and since x=a +/- 1^2 + +/- 1^2 = 2 and when the lower limit is evaluated x = 0, but a > 0 so that makes the expression equal to 1.

frosty8688 said:
I got it when a is evaluated x = +/- 1 and since x=a +/- 1^2 + +/- 1^2 = 2 and when the lower limit is evaluated x = 0, but a > 0 so that makes the expression equal to 1.
"a" is simply "a", an arbitrary positive real number. Your answer should have "a" in it.

I have [itex]\frac{1}{3}(2\sqrt{2}-1)a^{3}[/itex]

frosty8688 said:
I have [itex]\frac{1}{3}(2\sqrt{2}-1)a^{3}[/itex]

Looks good.

Related to Evaluate the definite integral

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to determine the area under a curve between two specific points on a graph. It is represented by a closed interval and is denoted by the symbol ∫ (integral) followed by the function to be integrated and the limits of integration.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specified limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a specific numerical value as a result, while an indefinite integral will give a function as a result, which can then be evaluated at different values.

How do you evaluate a definite integral?

To evaluate a definite integral, you must first find the antiderivative of the function being integrated. Then, plug in the upper and lower limits of integration into the antiderivative and subtract the resulting values to find the definite integral.

What is the significance of the definite integral in calculus?

In calculus, the definite integral is used to find the area under a curve, which is often used to solve real-world problems such as calculating the distance traveled by an object or the amount of work done. It is also used to find the average value of a function over a given interval.

Are there any techniques for evaluating difficult definite integrals?

Yes, there are several techniques for evaluating difficult definite integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. These techniques can help simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate. It is also important to practice and familiarize oneself with different integration techniques to become proficient at evaluating definite integrals.