Evaluate the integral using the residue theorem and its applications.

In summary, the integral from negative infinity to positive infinity is z^4/(1+z^8)dz. The residue theorem states that for a pole z with order 1, the residue at that pole is just cauchy's formula. The Attempt at a Solution found the 8th roots of z^8 = -1. These roots are e^(πiz). The residue theorem states that for a pole z with order 1, the residue at that pole is just cauchy's formula. TheAttempt at a Solution found the 8th roots of z^8 = -1, which are e^(πiz). The residue theorem states that for a pole z with order 1, the residue at that pole is just
StumpedPupil

Homework Statement

the integral from negative infinity to positive infinity: z^4/(1 + z^8)dz

Homework Equations

The residue theorem: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residue_theorem>.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the 8th roots of z^8 = -1, which are e^(πiz), where z =1/8, 3/8, 5/8, 7/8, 9/8 11/8, 13/8 15/8.

So the denominator is (z - z0)(z - z1)(z - z2) . . . (z - z7) and we can calculate the residue of each pole. Each pole has order 1, so the residue at each pole is just cauchy's formula at the pole. Then the integral is just the sum of the 8 residues multiplied by 2πi.

This seems more complicated then it should be. Can anyone tell me if I am doing this right because something seems off. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is complicated but it should work. But you don't want to add ALL of the residues. You'll get zero. You want to draw a CLOSED contour that includes the real axis. That contour is only going to include four of the poles, isn't it?

StumpedPupil said:

Homework Statement

the integral from negative infinity to positive infinity: z^4/(1 + z^8)dz

Homework Equations

The residue theorem: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residue_theorem>.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the 8th roots of z^8 = -1, which are e^(πiz), where z =1/8, 3/8, 5/8, 7/8, 9/8 11/8, 13/8 15/8.
You are using "z" with two different meanings here! Please don't do that!

So the denominator is (z - z0)(z - z1)(z - z2) . . . (z - z7) and we can calculate the residue of each pole. Each pole has order 1, so the residue at each pole is just cauchy's formula at the pole. Then the integral is just the sum of the 8 residues multiplied by 2πi.

This seems more complicated then it should be. Can anyone tell me if I am doing this right because something seems off. Thank you.
Your integral is along the real line from negative infinity to infinity. What contour are you going to use to get that? I would recommend integrating from -R to R on the real line then along the semicircle |z|= R with imaginary part positive. As soon as R> 1 four of those roots will be inside the contour and the integral around the entire contour will be the sum of those four residues. Finally let R go to infinity. You will have to determine what happens to the integral on the semi-circle in that case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, only four poles are in the upper half plane, namely the values for the variable w, which I mistakenly labeled as a z when z already existed. So I will integrate over the semi circle for very large R in the upper half plane for the poles z = e^(πiw), where w =1/8, 3/8, 5/8 and 7/8. Thank you for all your help.

1. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is a mathematical tool used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals of complex functions along a closed contour. It states that the value of such an integral is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its singular points inside the contour.

2. How is the residue theorem applied to evaluate integrals?

To apply the residue theorem, we first identify the singular points of the function within the contour. Then, we calculate the residues of the function at these points. Finally, we sum up the residues and multiply by 2πi to obtain the value of the integral.

3. What are the advantages of using the residue theorem?

The residue theorem allows for the evaluation of complex integrals that may be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also provides a systematic approach to evaluating integrals with infinitely many singular points.

4. Can the residue theorem be used for any type of integral?

No, the residue theorem can only be used for integrals of complex functions along closed contours. It is not applicable to real integrals or integrals along open contours.

5. Are there any practical applications of the residue theorem?

Yes, the residue theorem has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is commonly used in the calculation of electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, as well as in solving differential equations in quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics.